QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 3056|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 2(上)

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-4-11 09:25:49 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
'Phone the police, Vernon! Phone the police! Diddy, darling, speak to Mummy! What did they do to you?'
In all the kerfuffle nobody seemed to have noticed Harry, which suited him perfectly. He managed to slip inside just before Uncle Vernon slammed the door and, while the Dursleys made their noisy progress down the hall towards the kitchen, Harry moved carefully and quietly towards the stairs.
'Who did it, son? Give us names. We'll get them, don't worry.'
'Shh! He's trying to say something, Vernon! What is it, Diddy? Tell Mummy!'
Harry's foot was on the bottom-most stair when Dudley found his voice.
'Him.'
Harry froze, foot on the stair, face screwed up, braced for the explosion.
'BOY! COME HERE!'
With a feeling of mingled dread and anger, Harry removed his foot slowly from the stair and turned to follow the Dursleys.
“给警察打电话,弗农!给警察打电话!达达,亲爱的,跟妈妈说说!他们把你怎么样啦?”
在一片混乱中,似乎谁也没有注意哈利,这正合他的心意。他正好赶在弗农姨父重重关上房门前溜进来。当德思礼一家闹哄哄地穿过客厅,走向厨房时,哈利小心地、蹑手蹑脚地朝楼梯走去。
“这是谁干的,儿子?快告诉我们他们的名字。我们会抓住他们的,不用担心。”
“嘘!他正要说话呢,弗农!怎么回事,达达?快告诉妈妈!”
哈利的脚刚踏上第一级楼梯,达力终于发出了声音。
“他。”
哈利怔住了,一只脚踏在楼梯上,脸扭成一团,鼓起勇气准备迎接这场大爆炸。
“小子!你给我过来!”
哈利怀着恐惧和愤怒交织的心情,慢慢地把脚从楼梯上撤了下来,转身跟着德思礼一家。
The scrupulously clean kitchen had an oddly unreal glitter after the darkness outside. Aunt Petunia was ushering Dudley into a chair; he was still very green and clammy-looking. Uncle Vernon was standing in front of the draining board, glaring at Harry through tiny, narrowed eyes.
'What have you done to my son?' he said in a menacing growl.
'Nothing,' said Harry, knowing perfectly well that Uncle Vernon wouldn't believe him.
'What did he do to you. Diddy?' Aunt Petunia said in a quavering voice, now sponging sick from the front of Dudley's leather jacket. 'Was it - was it you-know-what, darling? Did he use - his thing?'
Slowly, tremulously, Dudley nodded.
'I didn't!' Harry said sharply, as Aunt Petunia let out a wail and Uncle Vernon raised his fists. 'I didn't do anything to him, it wasn't me, it was - '
But at that precise moment a screech owl swooped in through the kitchen window. Narrowly missing the top of Uncle Vernon's head, it soared across the kitchen, dropped the large parchment envelope it was carrying in its beak at Harry's feet, turned gracefully, the tips of its wings just brushing the top of the fridge, then zoomed outside again and off across the garden.
'OWLS!' bellowed Uncle Vernon, the well-worn vein in his temple pulsing angrily as he slammed the kitchen window shut. 'OWLS AGAIN! I WILL NOT HAVE ANY MORE OWLS IN MY HOUSE!'
刚从外面的夜色中进来,觉得擦洗得一尘不染的厨房明晃晃的,怪异而不真实。佩妮姨妈领达力坐到一张椅子上。达力仍然脸色发青,一副病恹恹的样子。弗农姨父站在滴水板前面,眯起一对小眼睛,狠狠地瞪着哈利。
“你对我儿子做了什么?”他气势汹汹地吼道。
“什么也没做。”哈利说,他很清楚弗农姨父根本不会相信他的话。
“他对你做了什么,达达?”佩妮姨妈一边用湿海绵擦去达力皮夹克上的脏东西,一边用发抖的声音问道,“是——是那玩意儿吗,亲爱的?他用了——他的家伙?”
达力颤抖着慢慢地点了点头。
“我没有!”哈利急切地说,佩妮姨妈发出一声号啕,弗农姨父举起两个拳头。“我没有把他怎么样,那不是我,那是——”
就在这个时候,一只长耳猫头鹰忽地从窗户飞进了厨房,既而擦着弗农姨父的头顶,轻盈地从厨房那头飞过来,把嘴里叼着的一个羊皮纸大信封丢在哈利脚边,然后优雅地一转身,翅膀尖正好扫过冰箱顶,嗖的一声飞了出去,掠过花园上空消失了。
“猫头鹰!”弗农姨父气得大吼。他狠狠地把厨房窗户砰的一声关上了。他太阳穴上的那根经常暴起的血管又在突突跳动。“又是猫头鹰!再也不许猫头鹰进我的家里!”
But Harry was already ripping open the envelope and pulling out the letter inside, his heart pounding somewhere in the region of his Adam's apple.
Dear Mr Potter,
We have received intelligence that you performed the Patronus Charm at twenty-three minutes past nine this evening in a Muggle-inhabited area and in the presence of a Muggle.
The severity of this breach of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery has resulted in your expulsion from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Ministry representatives will be calling at your place of residence shortly to destroy your wand.
As you have already received an official warning for a previous offence under Section 13 of the International Confederation of Warlocks' Statute of Secrecy, we regret to inform you that your presence is required at a disciplinary hearing at the Ministry of Magic at 9 a.m. on the twelfth of August.
Hoping you are well,
Yours sincerely,
Mafalda Hopkirk
Improper Use of Magic Office
Ministry of Magic
Harry read the letter through twice. He was only vaguely aware of Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia talking. Inside his head, all was icy and numb. One fact had penetrated his consciousness like a paralysing dart. He was expelled from Hogwarts. It was all over. He was never going back.
He looked up at the Dursleys. Uncle Vernon was purple-faced, shouting, his fists still raised; Aunt Petunia had her arms around Dudley who was retching again.
哈利已经扯开信封,抽出了里面的信,他的心怦怦狂跳,已经快要跳到嗓子眼了。
亲爱的波特先生:
我们接到情报,你于今晚九点二十三分在一个麻瓜居住区,当着一个麻瓜的面施用了守护神魔咒。这一行为严重违反了《对未成年巫师加以合理约束法》,因此你已被霍格沃茨魔法学校开除。魔法部将很快派代表前往你的住所,销毁你的魔杖。鉴于你此前已因违反《国际魔法师联合会保密法》的第十三条而受到正式警告,我们很遗憾地通知你,你必须在8月12日上午九时前往魔法部受审。
希望你多多保重。
你忠实的马法尔达霍普柯克
魔法部禁止滥用魔法司
哈利把这封信连读了两遍。他只模模糊糊地意识到弗农姨父和佩妮姨妈在那儿说着什么。他的脑海里一片冰冷,一片空白。一个事实像一把致人瘫痪的飞镖扎进了他的意识。他被霍格沃茨开除了。一切都完了。他再也回不去了。
他抬头望着德思礼一家。弗农姨父的脸涨成了猪肝色,他大声吼叫着,两只拳头仍然高高地举着。佩妮姨妈用两只胳膊搂着又在干呕不止的达力。
Harry's temporarily stupefied brain seemed to reawaken. Ministry representatives will be calling at your place of residence shortly to destroy your wand. There was only one thing for it. He would have to run - now. Where he was going to go, Harry didn't know but he was certain of one thing: at Hogwarts or outside it, he needed his wand. In an almost dreamlike state, he pulled his wand out and turned to leave the kitchen.
'Where d'you think you're going?' yelled Uncle Venon. When Harry didn't reply, he pounded across the kitchen to block the doorway into the hall. 'I haven't finished with you, boy!'
'Get out of the way,' said Harry quietly.
'You're going to stay here and explain how my son - '
'If you don't get out of the way I'm going to jinx you,' said Harry, raising the wand.
'You can't pull that one on me!' snarled Uncle Vernon. 'I know
'You're not allowed to use it outside that madhouse you call a school!'
The madhouse has chucked me out,' said Harry. 'So I can do whatever I like. You've got three seconds. One - two - '
A resounding CRACK filled the kitchen. Aunt Petunia screamed, Uncle Vernon yelled and ducked, but for the third time that night Harry was searching for the source of a disturbance he had not made. He spotted it at once: a dazed and ruffled-looking barn owl was sitting outside on the kitchen sill, having just collided with the closed window.
哈利暂时麻木的思维似乎慢慢苏醒了过来。魔法部将很快派代表前往你的住所,销毁你的魔杖。只有一个办法。他必须逃走——事不宜迟。究竟去哪儿呢,哈利并不知道,但有一点是肯定的:不管在霍格沃茨校内还是校外,他都离不开他的魔杖。在一种几乎是半梦半醒的状态中,他抽出魔杖,转身想离开厨房。
“你打算上哪儿去?”弗农姨父嚷道。看到哈利没有回答,他嗵嗵嗵地从厨房那头走过来,挡在了通往客厅的门口。“我跟你的事情还没完呢,小子!”
“闪开!”哈利轻声说。
“你必须待在这里,老实交代我的儿子怎么会——”
“如果你不闪开,我就给你念一个恶咒。”哈利说着举起了魔杖。
“你别想用它来对付我!”弗农姨父恶狠狠地说,“我知道,你出了那所你称为学校的疯人院,是不允许摆弄它的!”
“疯人院已经把我赶出来了,”哈利说,“所以我愿意干什么就干什么。现在给你三秒钟。一……二……”
厨房里发出一声爆响,回音不绝。佩妮姨妈失声尖叫,弗农姨父吼叫着弯腰躲避,而哈利呢,他在寻找一场不是由他造成的混乱的源头,这已经是这个晚上的第三次了。他立刻发现了:一只昏头昏脑、羽毛蓬乱的谷仓猫头鹰正蹲在厨房外面的窗台上,刚才它撞在关着的窗户玻璃上了。
Ignoring Uncle Vernon's anguished yell of 'OWLS!' Harry crossed the room at a run and wrenched the window open. The owl stuck out its leg, to which a small roll of parchment was tied, shook its feathers, and took off the moment Harry had taken the letter. Hands shaking, Harry unfurled the second message, which was written very hastily and blotchily in black ink.
Harry -
Dumbledore's just arrived at the Ministry and he's trying to sort it all out. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR AUNT AND UNCLE'S HOUSE. DO NOT DO ANY MORE MAGIC. DO NOT SURRENDER YOUR WAND.
Arthur Weasley
Dumbledore was trying to sort it all out . . . what did that mean? how much power did Dumbledore have to override the Ministry of Magic? Was there a chance that he might be allowed back to Hogwarts, then? A small shoot of hope burgeoned in Harry's chest, almost immediately strangled by panic - how was he supposed to refuse to surrender his wand without doing magic? He'd have to duel with the Ministry representatives, and if he did that, he'd be lucky to escape Azkaban, let alone expulsion.
His mind was racing . . . he could run for it and risk being captured by the Ministry, or stay put and wait for them to find him here. He was much more tempted by the former course, but he mew Mr Weasley had his best interests at heart . . . and after all, Dumbledore had sorted out much worse than this before.
'Right,' Harry said, 'I've changed my mind, I'm staying.'
He flung himself down at the kitchen table and faced Dudley and Aunt Petunia. The Dursleys appeared taken aback at his abrupt change of mind. Aunt Petunia glanced despairingly at Uncle Vernon. The vein in his purple temple was throbbing worse than ever.
'Who are all these ruddy owls from?' he growled.
弗农姨父痛苦地嚷道:“猫头鹰!”哈利没有理睬他,径直跑到厨房那头,猛地打开窗户。猫头鹰伸出一条腿,上面拴着一小卷羊皮纸。它抖了抖羽毛,哈利一把信取下来它就飞走了。哈利颤抖着双手,展开这第二封信,上面用黑墨水草草地写着几行字,纸上污渍斑斑。
哈利:
邓布利多刚赶到魔法部,正在调查整个事件。不要离开你姨妈和姨父的家。不要再施魔法。不要交出你的魔杖。
亚瑟韦斯莱
邓布利多正在调查整个事情——这是什么意思呢?邓布利多有多大能耐,能够凌驾于魔法部之上?这么说,他还有可能重新回到霍格沃茨?一线小小的希望在哈利心中迅速升起,但几乎立刻就被惊慌的情绪扼杀了——他不施魔法,怎么可能拒绝交出魔杖呢?他必须与魔法部的代表展开较量。如果他那么做了,能够逃脱阿兹卡班监狱已算侥幸,更别说给学校开除了。
他脑子飞快地转着——他可以赶快逃走,冒着被魔法部抓到的危险,也可以待在原地,等着他们来这里找到他。他觉得第一条路更有吸引力,但他知道韦斯莱先生肯定考虑过怎样对他最有利——而且,邓布利多以前处理过比这糟糕得多的事情呢。
“好吧,”哈利说,“我改变主意了,我不走了。”
他飞快地扑到厨房桌子旁,面对着达力和佩妮姨妈。德思礼一家似乎对他这样突然改变主意吃惊不校佩妮姨妈绝望地望着弗农姨父。他紫红色太阳穴上的血管跳得比以前更厉害了。
“这些讨厌透顶的猫头鹰是谁派来的?”他凶狠地吼道。
'The first one was from the Ministry of Magic, expelling me,' said Harry calmly. He was straining his ears to catch any noises outside, in case the Ministry representatives were approaching, and it was easier and quieter to answer Uncle Vernon's questions than to have him start raging and bellowing. The second one was from my friend Ron's dad, who works at the Ministry.'
'Ministry of Magic?' bellowed Uncle Vernon. 'People like you in government? Oh, this explains everything, everything, no wonder the country's going to the dogs.'
When Harry did not respond, Uncle Vernon glared at him, then spat out, 'And why have you been expelled?'
'Because I did magic.'
'AHA!' roared Uncle Vernon, slamming his fist down on top of the fridge, which sprang open; several of Dudley's low-fat snacks toppled out and burst on the floor. 'So you admit it! What did you do to Dudley?'
'Nothing,' said Harry, slightly less calmly. That wasn't me - '
'Was,' muttered Dudley unexpectedly, and Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia instantly made flapping gestures at Harry to quieten him while they both bent low over Dudley.
'Go on, son,' said Uncle Vernon, 'what did he do?'
'Tell us, darling,' whispered Aunt Petunia.
“第一只是魔法部派来的,把我开除了。”哈利平静地说道。他竖起两只耳朵,专心地听着外面的动静,生怕魔法部的代表已经来了。现在与其让弗农姨父大发雷霆,怒吼咆哮,还不如回答他的问题更容易,也更安静。“第二只是我朋友罗恩的爸爸派来的,他在魔法部工作。”
“魔法部?”弗农姨父恶声恶气地说道,“你们这样的人也能在政府工作?哦,我总算都明白了,都明白了,怪不得这个国家如今一天不如一天呢。”
哈利没有回答。
弗农姨父气呼呼地瞪着他,然后厉声问:“你为什么会被开除?”
“因为我使用了魔法。”
“啊哈!”弗农姨父吼道,拳头重重地砸在冰箱顶上,冰箱的门忽地弹开,达力的几包低脂肪小食品掉了出来,散落在地上。“这么说你承认了!你对达力做了——”
“什么也没有,”哈利说,不像刚才那么平静了,“那不是我——”
“是!”达力出人意料地蹦出了一句,弗农姨父和佩妮姨妈立刻朝哈利挥舞着胳膊让他闭嘴,然后两人都俯身看着达力。
“说下去,儿子,”弗农姨父说,“他做了什么?”
'Pointed his wand at me,' Dudley mumbled.
'Yeah, I did, but I didn't use - ' Harry began angrily, but - '
'SHUT UP!' roared Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia in unison.
'Go on, son,' repeated Uncle Vernon, moustache blowing about furiously.
'All went dark,' Dudley said hoarsely, shuddering 'Everything dark. And then I h-heard . . . things. Inside m-my head.'
Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia exchanged looks of utter horror. If their least favourite thing in the world was magic - closely followed by neighbours who cheated more than they did on the hosepipe ban - people who heard voices were definitely in the bottom ten. They obviously thought Dudley was losing his mind.
'What sort of things did you hear, Popkin?' breathed Aunt Petunia, very white-faced and with tears in her eyes.
But Dudley seemed incapable of saying. He shuddered again and shook his large blond head, and despite the sense of numb dread that had settled on Harry since the arrival of the first owl, he felt a certain curiosity. Dementors caused a person to relive the worst moments of their life. What would spoiled, pampered, bullying Dudley have been forced to hear?
“告诉我们,亲爱的。”佩妮姨妈小声说。
“他用魔杖指着我。”达力含混不清地说。
“是啊,我指着他,但并没有用——”哈利气愤地说,然而——
“闭嘴!”弗农姨父和佩妮姨妈异口同声地吼道。
“说下去,儿子。”弗农姨父又说了一遍,小胡子上下乱舞。
“全黑了,”达力打着激灵,声音嘶哑地说,“四下里一片漆黑。然后我听——听见——有东西。在我——我的脑袋里。”
弗农姨父和佩妮姨妈交换了一个惊恐万状的眼神。如果说在这个世界上他们最不喜欢的东西是魔法——其次就是邻居在禁用浇水软管的问题上弄虚作假,做得比他们更过分——那么听到自己的脑子里有人说话,肯定也是最糟糕的事情之一。他们显然认为达力已经精神错乱了。
“你听见什么样的话了,宝贝儿?”佩妮姨妈压低声音问道,她脸色白得吓人,眼里含着泪水。
可是达力似乎不会说话了。他又打了个寒噤,摇了摇那颗亚麻色头发的大脑袋。尽管第一只猫头鹰到来后,哈利的内心因恐惧而近乎麻木了,但此刻他也感到有些好奇。摄魂怪能使人重新经历一生中最痛苦的时刻。那么,这个被溺爱的养尊处优的、横行霸道的达力,会被迫听到什么呢?

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表