雄州网-简阳人的网上社区

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 23488|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 13(上)

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-6-19 10:53:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
Ron was now so low in his seat that his nose was roughly level with his knees.
Thank you for your support, Ron,' Hermione said acidly.
'You handled it fine by yourself,' Ron mumbled.
Hermione stared down at her blank piece of parchment for a few seconds, then said edgily, 'Oh, it's no good, I can't concentrate now. I'm going to bed.'
She wrenched her bag open; Harry thought she was about to put her books away, but instead she pulled out two misshapen woolly objects, placed them carefully on a table by the fireplace, covered them with a few screwed-up bits of parchment and a broken quill and stood back to admire the effect.
'What in the name of Merlin are you doing?' said Ron, watching her as though fearful for her sanity.
They're hats for house-elves,' she said briskly now stuffing her books back into her bag. 'I did them over the summer. I'm a really slow knitter without magic but now I'm back at school I should be able to make lots more.'
'You're leaving out hats for the house-elves?' said Ron slowly. 'And you're covering them up with rubbish first?'
'Yes,' said Hermione defiantly, swinging her bag on to her back.
这时候,罗恩在座位里把身体埋得低低的,鼻子差不多跟他的膝盖平行了。
“感谢你的支持,罗恩。”赫敏刻薄地说。
“你自己处理得很好嘛。”罗恩嘟哝了一句。
赫敏瞪着面前空白的羊皮纸,愣了几秒钟,然后烦躁地说:“哦,没有用,我现,在没法集中思想。我去睡觉了。”
她猛地打开书包,哈利以为她要把书本收起来,没想到她掏出了两件奇状的羊毛织的东西,把它们小心地放在壁炉旁边的一张桌子上,并用几张皱巴巴的羊皮纸和一支破羽毛笔盖住它们,然后退后一步观看效果。
“我的天哪,你这到底是在做什么呀?”罗恩说,呆呆地望着她,好像怀疑她头脑是不是清醒。
“这些是给家养小精灵的帽子,”她尖刻地说道,现在才开始把书本塞进书包,“我暑假里织的。不用魔法,我织东西实在太慢了,现在回到了学校,应该能够再织出一大批了。”
“你要把帽子留给家养小精灵?”罗恩慢慢地问,“还用垃圾把它们先盖起来?”
“是的。”赫敏毫不示弱地说,把书包甩到了背后。
'That's not on,' said Ron angrily. 'You're trying to trick them into picking up the hats. You're setting them free when they might not want to be free.'
'Of course they want to be free!' said Hermione at once, though
her face was turning pink. 'Don't you dare touch those hats, Ron!'
She turned on her heel and left. Ron waited until she had disappeared through the door to the girls' dormitories, then cleared the rubbish off the woolly hats.
They should at least see what they're picking up,' he said firmly. 'Anyway . . .' he rolled up the parchment on which he had written the title of Snape's essay, 'there's no point trying to finish this now, I can't do it without Hermione, I haven't got a clue what you're supposed to do with moonstones, have you?'
Harry shook his head, noticing as he did so that the ache in his right temple was getting worse. He thought of the long essay on giant wars and the pain stabbed at him sharply. Knowing perfectly well that when the morning came, he would regret not finishing his homework that night, he piled his books back into his bag.
'I'm going to bed too.'
He passed Seamus on the way to the door leading to the dormitories, but did not look at him. Harry had a fleeting impression that Seamus had opened his mouth to speak, but he sped up and reached the soothing peace of the stone spiral staircase without having to endure any more provocation.
“那是行不通的,”罗恩气呼呼地说,“你不能欺骗他们捡起这些帽子。你给他们自由,他们也许并不想得到自由。”
“他们当然想得到自由!”赫敏不假思索地说,但脸色转成了粉红色,“你敢碰一碰那些帽子,罗恩!”
她走了。罗恩等她刚一出了通向女生宿舍的门,就把那些垃圾从羊毛帽子上清除掉了。
“至少应该让他们看清他们捡起来的是什么东西,”他坚决地说道,“反正……”他卷起那张写着斯内普那篇论文标题的羊皮纸,“现在要把它写完是不可能的了。赫敏不在,我根本没法儿写,月长石到底有什么用,我真是一点儿也不知道。你呢?”
哈利摇了摇头,这才发现他的右边太阳穴疼得越来越厉害了。想起还要写那么长一篇关于巨人战争的文章,那疼痛更是如刀割一般。他知道明天早晨醒来,他肯定会后悔今天晚上没有完成家庭作业。他一边这么想着,一边把书本塞回书包里。
“我也去睡觉了。”
他走向通往男生宿舍的那扇门,正好与西莫擦肩而过,但看也没有看他。一闪念间,哈利仿佛觉得西莫张开嘴想要说话,他赶紧加快脚步来到安静的、令人舒心的石头螺旋式楼梯上,不想再忍受别人的挑衅和刺激。
The following day dawned just as leaden and rainy as the previous one. Hagrid was still absent from the staff table at breakfast.
'But on the plus side, no Snape today,' said Ron bracingly.
Hermione yawned widely and poured herself some coffee. She looked mildly pleased about something, and when Ron asked her what she had to be so happy about, she simply said, The hats have gone. Seems the house-elves do want freedom after all.'
'I wouldn't bet on it,' Ron told her cuttingly. They might not count as clothes. They didn't look anything like hats to me, more like woolly bladders.'
Hermione did not speak to him all morning.
Double Charms was succeeded by double Transfiguration. Professor Flitwick and Professor McGonagall both spent the first fifteen minutes of their lessons lecturing the class on the importance of OWLs.
'What you must remember,' said little Professor Flitwick squeakily, perched as ever on a pile of books so that he could see over the top of his desk, 'is that these examinations may influence your futures for many years to come! If you have not already given serious thought to your careers, now is the time to do so. And in :he meantime, I'm afraid, we shall be working harder than ever to ensure that you all do yourselves justice!'
They then spent over an hour revising Summoning Charms, which according to Professor Flitwick were bound to come up in their OWL, and he rounded off the lesson by setting them their largest ever amount of Charms homework.
It was the same, if not worse, in Transfiguration.
第二天早晨,天气和前一天一样灰蒙蒙的,细雨绵绵。吃早饭的时候,教工桌子上还是不见海格的身影。
“可是从有利的方面看,斯内普今天也不在。”罗恩给他们打气说。
赫敏打了一个大大的哈欠,给自己倒了一些咖啡。她似乎在为什么事情暗暗高兴,后来罗恩问她到底为什么事开心成这样,她简单地说:“帽子不见了。看来家养小精灵还是愿意得到自由的。”
“这我可说不准,”罗恩尖刻地对她说,“它们大概根本就不能算衣物。在我看来,它们一点儿也不像帽子,倒更像是羊毛袋子。”
赫敏一上午都没跟他说话。
两节魔咒课后面接着是两节变形课。弗立维教授和麦格教授都先用了十五分钟向全班同学强调O.W.Ls考试的重要性。
“你们必须记住,”矮个子弗立维教授尖声尖气地说,他像往常一样站在一堆书上,这样才能从讲台上看到全班同学,“这些考试可能会影响到你们未来许多年的前途!如果你们还没有严肃认真地考虑过你们的职业,现在应该好好想想了。与此同时,为了保证你们都发挥出自己的水平,恐怕我们都要比以前更加努力才行!”
接着他们花了一个多小时复习飞来咒,据弗立维教授说,这是他们的O.W.Ls考试中肯定会有的内容。下课前,他前所未有地布置了一大堆魔咒作为家庭作业。
变形课的情况即使不是更糟,也好不到哪儿去。
'You cannot pass an OWL,' said Professor McGonagall grimly, 'without serious application, practice and study. I see no reason why everybody in this class should not achieve an OWL in Transfiguration as long as they put in the work.'
Neville made a sad little disbelieving noise.
'Yes, you too, Longbottom,' said Professor McGonagall. There's nothing wrong with your work except lack of confidence. So . . . today we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you would not usually attempt until NEWT level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your OWL.'
She was quite right; Harry found the Vanishing Spells horribly difficult. By the end of a double period, neither he nor Ron had managed to vanish the snails on which they were practising, though Ron said hopefully he thought his looked a bit paler. Hermione, on the other hand, successfully vanished her snail on the third attempt, earning her a ten-point bonus for Gryffindor from Professor McGonagall. She was the only person not given homework; everybody else was told to practise the spell overnight, ready for a fresh attempt on their snails the following afternoon.
Now panicking slightly about the amount of homework they had to do, Harry and Ron spent their lunch hour in the library looking up the uses of moonstones in potion-making. Still angry about Ron's slur on her woolly hats, Hermione did not join them. By the time they reached Care of Magical Creatures in the afternoon, Harry's head was aching again.
The day had become cool and breezy, and as they walked down the sloping lawn towards Hagrid's cabin on the edge of the Forbidden Forest, they felt the occasional drop of rain on their faces. Professor Grubbly-Plank stood waiting for the class some ten yards from Hagrid's front door, a long trestle table in front of her laden with twigs. As Harry and Ron reached her, a loud shout of laughter sounded behind them; turning, they saw Draco Malfoy striding towards them, surrounded by his usual gang of Slytherin cronies.
He had clearly just said something highly amusing, because Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy Parkinson and the rest continued to snigger heartily as they gathered around the trestle table and, judging by the way they all kept looking over at Harry, he was able to guess the subject of the joke without too much difficulty.
“如果没有认真的学习、实践、应用,”麦格教授严肃地说,“你们就不可能通过O.W.Ls考试。我认为,只要投入了时间和精力,这个班里的所有同学都没有理由得不到变形课的O.W.Ls合格证书。”
纳威不敢相信地叹了口气。
“没错,你也同样,隆巴顿。”麦格教授说,“你的操作没有任何错误,只是缺乏自信。因此……今天我们要开始学习消失咒。消失咒要比你们一般在达到N.E.W.Ts水平时才会练习的召唤咒简单一些,但它仍然是你们O.W.Ls考试中会出现的最难的魔法。”
她说得很对。哈利发现消失咒难得要命。到两节课快结束时,他和罗恩谁都没能使他们用来练习的蜗牛消失,虽然罗恩抱有希望地说,他认为他那只蜗牛的颜色变浅了点儿。而赫敏刚试到第三次,就成功地使她的蜗牛消失了,因此从麦格教授那里为格兰芬多学院赢得了十分的奖励。只有她一个人不用做家庭作业,其他人都必须连夜练习这个魔咒,准备第二天下午再在那些蜗牛身上尝试一番。
有这么多家庭作业要完成,哈利和罗恩有些慌神了。他们把午饭时间花在了泡图书馆上,好查找月长石在制药方面的用途。赫敏还在为罗恩诽谤她的羊毛帽子而生气,没有跟他们一起去。下午,当他们去上保护神奇生物课时,哈利的脑袋又疼了起来。
天气阴冷,寒风凛冽,他们走下草坡、向禁林边上海格的小屋走去时,感到有零星的雨点落在他们脸上。格拉普兰教授站在海格小屋门前十米开外的地方等待同学们,她的面前有一张长长的搁板桌,上面放着许多细树枝。哈利和罗恩刚走到她身边,就听见身后传来一阵刺耳的笑声。回头一看,只见德拉科·马尔福大步朝他们走来,身边围着他那群形影不离的斯莱特林密友。
显然他刚才说了什么特别好笑的话,因为等到克拉布、高尔、潘西·帕金森及其他人围拢在搁板桌旁时,他们还忍不住开心地咯咯直笑,而且他们都不停地朝哈利这边看,因此哈利很容易就能猜出那个笑话说的是什么。
'Everyone here?' barked Professor Grubbly-Plank, once all the Slytherins and Gryffindors had arrived. 'Let's crack on then. Who can tell me what these things are called?'
She indicated the heap of twigs in front of her. Hermione's hand shot into the air. Behind her back, Malfoy did a buck-toothed imitation of her jumping up and down in eagerness to answer a question. Pansy Parkinson gave a shriek of laughter that turned almost at once into a scream, as the twigs on the table leapt into the air and revealed themselves to be what looked like tiny pixie-ish creatures made of wood, each with knobbly brown arms and legs, two twiglike fingers at the end of each hand and a funny flat, barklike face in which a pair of beetle-brown eyes glittered.
'Oooooh!' said Parvati and Lavender, thoroughly irritating Harry. Anyone would have thought Hagrid had never shown them impressive creatures; admittedly, the Flobberworms had been a bit dull, but the Salamanders and Hippogriffs had been interesting enough, and the Blast-Ended Skrewts perhaps too much so.
'Kindly keep your voices down, girls!' said Professor Grubbly-Plank sharply, scattering a handful of what looked like brown rice among the stick-creatures, who immediately fell upon the food. 'So - anyone know the names of these creatures? Miss Granger?'
'Bowtruckles,' said Hermione. They're tree-guardians, usually live in wand-trees.'
'Five points for Gryffindor,' said Professor Grubbly-Plank. 'Yes, these are Bowtruckles, and as Miss Granger rightly says, they generally live in trees whose wood is of wand quality. Anybody know what they eat?'
'Woodlice,' said Hermione promptly, which explained why what Harry had taken to be grains of brown rice were moving. 'But fairy eggs if they can get them.'
“人都来齐了吧?”格拉普兰教授看到斯莱特林和格兰芬多的同学都到了,便粗声粗气地问道,“我们开始吧。谁能告诉我这些东西叫什么名字?”
她指着面前的那一堆细树枝。赫敏腾地一下举起了手。在她身后,马尔福龇着牙齿,学她上蹿下跳、急着回答问题的样子。潘西·帕金森发出一声刺耳的大笑,但几乎立刻就变成了一声尖叫,只见桌上的细树枝忽地蹿到空中,露出了它们的真面目,一个个像是木头做的小精灵,每个都长着褐色的、疙里疙瘩的腿和胳膊,每只手上有两根树枝般的手指,而每张扁平的、树皮般的滑稽面孔上都有两只圆溜溜的褐色小眼睛在闪闪发亮。
“哎哟!”帕瓦蒂和拉文德说,这使哈利非常恼火。谁都认为海格从来没有给他们看过什么有趣的动物。必须承认,弗洛伯毛虫确实有点儿乏味,但火蜥蜴和鹰头马身有翼兽还是挺有趣的,而炸尾螺或许有趣得过了头。
“姑娘们,请你们小声点儿!”格拉普兰教授严厉地说,抓了一把像是糙米一样的东西撒给那些枯枝般的动物,它们立刻扑上去吃了起来,“那么——有谁知道这些动物的名字?格兰杰小姐?”
“护树罗锅①,”赫敏回答道,“它们是树木的保护神,通常生活在魔杖树上。”
“格兰芬多加五分。”格拉普兰教授说,“不错,这些动物是护树罗锅,格兰杰小姐说得很对,它们一般生活在枝干可以用来做魔杖的树上。有谁知道它们吃什么吗?”
“土鳖,”赫敏立刻答道,怪不得那些哈利以为是糙米的东西都在动个不停呢,“还有仙人蛋,如果它们能弄到的话。”
'Good girl, take another five points.. So, whenever you need leaves or wood from a tree in which a Bowtruckle lodges, it is wise to have a gift of woodlice ready to distract or placate it. They may not look dangerous, but if angered they will try to gouge at human eyes with their fingers, which, as you can see, are very sharp and not at all desirable near the eyeballs. So if you'd like to gather closer, take a few woodlice and a Bowtruckle - I have enough here for one between three - you can study them more closely. I want a sketch from each of you with all body-parts labelled by the end of the lesson.'
The class surged forwards around the trestle table. Harry deliberately circled around the back so that he ended up right next to Professor Grubbly-Plank.
'Where's Hagrid?' he asked her, while everyone else was choosing Bowtruckles.
'Never you mind,' said Professor Grubbly-Plank repressively, which had been her attitude last time Hagrid had failed to turn up for a class, too. Smirking all over his pointed face, Draco Malfoy leaned across Harry and seized the largest Bowtruckle.
'Maybe,' said Malfoy in an undertone, so that only Harry could hear him, 'the stupid great oaf's got himself badly injured.'
'Maybe you will if you don't shut up,' said Harry out of the side of his mouth.
'Maybe he's been messing with stuff that's too big for him, if you get my drift.'
“好孩子,再加五分。所以,如果你们需要在护树罗锅栖息的树上采集树叶或木料,最好准备一些土鳖作为礼物,吸引它们的注意力,安抚它们的情绪。它们看上去没什么危险,但如果被惹急了,就会用手指来挖人的眼睛。你们可以看到,它们的手指非常尖利,碰到人的眼球可不是好玩的。好了,如果你们愿意靠近一点,拿一些土鳖,领一只护树罗锅去——这里的护树罗锅够三个人分到一只——便可以更仔细地研究它们。我希望下课前每人完成一张草图,标出护树罗锅身体的每个部分。”
全班同学都朝搁板桌拥去。哈利故意绕到后面,这样他正好站在了格拉普兰教授旁边。
“海格到哪儿去了?”趁其他人都在挑选护树罗锅时,他问她道。
“不关你的事。”格拉普兰教授强硬地说,上一次海格没能来上课时,她也是这样的态度。德拉科·马尔福那张尖脸上堆满坏笑,他把身体探到哈利面前,抓住了那只最大的护树罗锅。
“说不定,”马尔福把声音压得很低,只有哈利一个人能听见,“那个愚蠢的傻大个儿受了重伤呢!”
“如果你不闭嘴,没准你才会受重伤!”哈利几乎不动嘴唇地说。
“说不定他正在摆弄他对付不了的大家伙呢,但愿你明白我的意思。”

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表