雄州网-简阳人的网上社区

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 17387|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 12(下)

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-6-5 10:21:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
'Parvati Patil, and isn't there a practical bit in our Defence Against
the Dark Arts OWL? Aren't we supposed to show that we can actually do the counter-curses and things?'
As long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason why you should not be able to perform the spells under carefully controlled examination conditions,' said Professor Umbridge dismissively.
'Without ever practising them beforehand?' said Parvati incredulously. Are you telling us that the first time we'll get to do the spells will be during our exam?'
'I repeat, as long as you have studied the theory hard enough - '
And what good's theory going to be in the real world?' said Harry loudly, his fist in the air again.
Professor Umbridge looked up.
'This is school, Mr Potter, not the real world,' she said softly.
'So we're not supposed to be prepared for what's waiting for us out there?'
'There is nothing waiting out there, Mr Potter.'
'Oh, yeah?' said Harry. His temper, which seemed to have been bubbling just beneath the surface all day, was reaching boiling point.
“帕瓦蒂·佩蒂尔,我们的黑魔法防御术课的考试里就没有一点实践性的内容吗?我们是不是应该显示出我们确实会施破解咒和其他魔法呢?”
“只要你们把理论学得非常扎实,就没有理由不会在严格控制的考试条件下施魔咒。”乌姆里奇教授轻蔑地说。
“事先不需要练习吗?”帕瓦蒂不敢相信地问,“难道你是在对我们说,我们第一次施那些魔咒就是在考试的时候吗?”
“我再说一遍,只要你们把理论学得非常扎实——”
“理论在现实世界里有什么用?”哈利又把拳头高高举起,大声问道。
乌姆里奇教授抬起目光。
“这是学校,波特先生,不是现实世界。”她轻声说。
“那么我们不需要做好准备,迎接等在外面的一切吗?”
“没有什么等在外面,波特先生。”
“哦,是吗?”哈利说。他的火气一整天都在内心暗暗翻腾,这时就要临近爆发点了。
'Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?' enquired Professor Umbridge in a horribly honeyed voice.
'Hmm, let's think . . .' said Harry in a mock thoughtful voice. 'Maybe . . . Lord Voldemort?'
Ron gasped; Lavender Brown uttered a little scream; Neville slipped sideways off his stool. Professor Umbridge, however, did not flinch. She was staring at Harry with a grimly satisfied expression on her face.
'Ten points from Gryffindor, Mr Potter.'
The classroom was silent and still. Everyone was staring at either Umbridge or Harry.
'Now, let me make a few things quite plain.'
Professor Umbridge stood up and leaned towards them, her stubby-fingered hands splayed on her desk.
'You have been told that a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead - '
'He wasn't dead,' said Harry angrily, 'but yeah, he's returned!'
'Mr-Potter-you-have-already-lost-your-house-ten-points-do-not-make-matters-worse-for-yourself,' said Professor Umbridge in one breath without looking at him. 'As I was saying, you have been informed that a certain Dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie.'
'It is NOT a lie!' said Harry. 'I saw him, I fought him!'
“你想象谁会来攻击你们这样的小孩子呢?”乌姆里奇教授用亲昵得可怕的声音问道。
“嗯,让我想想……”哈利用假装若有所思的口吻说,“也许,伏地魔?”
罗恩倒吸一口冷气,拉文德·布朗发出一声低低的尖叫,纳威一歪身从板凳上摔了下去,然而乌姆里奇教授却没有显出害怕的样子。她只是盯着哈利,脸上露出一种恶狠狠的心满意足的表情。
“格兰芬多扣除十分,波特先生。”
教室里一片沉默和寂静。大家要么盯着乌姆里奇,要么盯着哈利。
“好了,让我把几件事情弄弄清楚。”乌姆里奇教授站了起来,身体朝前探着,两只手指短粗的手掌按在讲台上。“有人告诉你们说,某个黑巫师死而复生了——”
“他没有死,”哈利生气地说,“但是没错,他回来了!”
“波特先生你已经让你们学院丢了十分,可别再把事情越弄越糟,”乌姆里奇教授一口气说完这句话,眼睛看也没看哈利,“正如我刚才说的,有人对你们说,某个黑巫师又出来活动了。这是无稽之谈。”
“这不是无稽之谈!”哈利说,“我看见他了,我跟他搏斗了!”
'Detention, Mr Potter!' said Professor Umbridge triumphantly. Tomorrow evening. Five o'clock. My office. I repeat, this is a lie. The Ministry of Magic guarantees that you are not in danger from any Dark wizard. If you are still worried, by all means come and see me outside class hours. If someone is alarming you with fibs about reborn Dark wizards, I would like to hear about it. I am here to help. I am your friend. And now, you will kindly continue your reading. Page five, "Basics for Beginners".'
Professor Umbridge sat down behind her desk. Harry, however, stood up. Everyone was staring at him; Seamus looked half-scared, half-fascinated.
'Harry, no!' Hermione whispered in a warning voice, tugging at his sleeve, but Harry jerked his arm out of her reach.
'So, according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord, did he?' Harry asked, his voice shaking.
There was a collective intake of breath from the class, for none of them, apart from Ron and Hermione, had ever heard Harry talk about what had happened on the night Cedric had died. They stared avidly from Harry to Professor Umbridge, who had raised her eyes and was staring at him without a trace of a fake smile on her face.
'Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident,' she said coldly.
'It was murder,' said Harry. He could feel himself shaking. He had hardly spoken to anyone about this, least of all thirty eagerly listening classmates. 'Voldemort killed him and you know it.'
“关禁闭,波特先生!”乌姆里奇教授得意洋洋地说道,“明天傍晚,五点钟,在我的办公室。我再说一遍,这是无稽之谈。魔法部保证你们不会遇到来自任何黑巫师的危险。如果你们仍然心存疑虑,请务必在课后来找我。如果有人用黑巫师死而复生的鬼话吓唬你们,我倒很愿意听一听。我随时准备帮助你们。我是你们的朋友。好了,请大家继续阅读第五页,‘入门基本原理’。”
乌姆里奇教授在她的讲台后面坐下了。哈利却站了起来。同学们都呆呆地望着他,西莫看上去半是害怕半是好奇。
“哈利,不要!”赫敏小声警告道,拉了拉他的衣袖。
但哈利一甩胳膊,不想让她碰自己。“那么,照你的说法,塞德里克·迪戈里是自己倒下来死掉的喽?”哈利问,他的声音微微发颤。
全班同学同时倒吸了一口冷气,因为除了罗恩和赫敏,他们谁都没有听见哈利谈论过塞德里克遇难那天夜里发生的事情。他们急切地望望哈利,又望望乌姆里奇教授,只见她抬起眼睛盯着哈利,脸上再也看不见一丝假笑了。
“塞德里克·迪戈里的死是一场不幸的事故。”她冷冷地说。
“是谋杀。”哈利说。他感觉到自己浑身发抖。他几乎没有跟任何人谈过这件事,更不用说当着三十个竖起耳朵聆听的同班同学的面。“伏地魔杀死了他,你明明知道的。”
Professor Umbridge's face was quite blank. For a moment, Harry thought she was going to scream at him. Then she said, in her softest, most sweetly girlish voice, 'Come here, Mr Potter, dear.'
He kicked his chair aside, strode around Ron and Hermione and up to the teacher's desk. He could feel the rest of the class holding its breath. He felt so angry he did not care what happened next.
Professor Umbridge pulled a small roll of pink parchment out of her handbag, stretched it out on the desk, dipped her quill into a bottle of ink and started scribbling, hunched over so that Harry could not see what she was writing. Nobody spoke. After a minute or so she rolled up the parchment and tapped it with her wand; it sealed itself seamlessly so that he could not open it.
Take this to Professor McGonagall, dear,' said Professor Umbridge, holding out the note to him.
He took it from her without saying a word, turned on his heel and left the room, not even looking back at Ron and Hermione, slamming the classroom door shut behind him. He walked very fast along the corridor, the note to McGonagall clutched tight in his hand, and turning a corner walked slap into Peeves the poltergeist, a wide-mouthed little man floating on his back in midair, juggling several inkwells.
'Why, it's Potty Wee Potter!' cackled Peeves, allowing two of the inkwells to fall to the ground where they smashed and spattered the walls with ink; Harry jumped backwards out of the way with a snarl.
'Get out of it, Peeves.'
'Oooh, Crackpot's feeling cranky,' said Peeves, pursuing Harry along the corridor, leering as he zoomed along above him. 'What is; it this time, my fine Potty friend? Hearing voices? Seeing visions? Speaking in - ' Peeves blew a gigantic raspberry '- tongues?'
乌姆里奇教授的脸上毫无表情。有那么一刻,哈利还以为她要冲自己失声尖叫呢。可接着她用那种最最温柔、最最嗲声嗲气的小姑娘一般的声音说道:“过来,波特先生,亲爱的。”
哈利把椅子踢到一边,从罗恩和赫敏身边绕过,走向讲台。他可以感觉到全班同学都屏住了呼吸。他实在太气愤了,根本不在乎接下来会发生什么。
乌姆里奇教授从她的手提包里抽出一卷粉红色的羊皮纸,在讲台上摊平了,用她的羽毛笔在墨水瓶里蘸了蘸,匆匆地写了起来。她身子俯在讲台上,因此哈利看不见她在写什么。谁也没有说话。过了一分钟左右,她卷起羊皮纸,用她的魔杖敲了一下,羊皮纸就自动牢牢地封死了,使得哈利无法打开它。
“亲爱的,把这个拿给麦格教授。”乌姆里奇教授说着,把羊皮纸递给了哈利。
哈利一言不发,从她手里接过了羊皮纸,也没有回头看一眼罗恩和赫敏就离开了教室,反手把门重重地关上了。他顺着走廊飞快地往前走,手里紧紧攥着给麦格教授的便条,转过一个拐角,猛地撞上了皮皮鬼——专门喜欢搞恶作剧的鬼魂。他是一个长着一张阔嘴巴的小个子男人,正平躺着悬在空中,像玩杂技一样抛接着几个墨水池。
“哎呀,是傻宝宝波特!”皮皮鬼咯咯笑着说,让两个墨水瓶落到地上摔得粉碎,墨水溅到了墙上。
哈利赶紧往后一跳躲开,大吼一声:“滚开,皮皮鬼!”
“哎哟,怪人儿发怪脾气了。”皮皮鬼说,在走廊上追着哈利,在他上面往前飞,一边调皮地斜眼看着他,“这次又犯了什么事儿,我亲爱的傻宝宝朋友?脑子里听见声音啦?眼前有幻觉啦?又开始说——”皮皮鬼轻蔑地大声咂了一下舌头,“——怪腔啦?”
'I said, leave me ALONE!' Harry shouted, running down the nearest flight of stairs, but Peeves merely slid down the banister on his back beside him.
'Oh, most think he's barking, the potty wee lad,
But some are more kindly and think he's just sad,
But Peevesy knows better and says that he's mad - '
'SHUT UP!'
A door to his left flew open and Professor McGonagall emerged from her office looking grim and slightly harassed.
'What on earth are you shouting about, Potter?' she snapped, as Peeves cackled gleefully and zoomed out of sight. 'Why aren't you in class?'
'I've been sent to see you,' said Harry stiffly.
'Sent? What do you mean, sent?'
He held out the note from Professor Umbridge. Professor McGonagall took it from him, frowning, slit it open with a tap of her wand, stretched it out and began to read. Her eyes zoomed from side to side behind their square spectacles as she read what Umbridge had written, and with each line they became narrower.
“我说了,别来烦我!”哈利大喊一声,转身跑下离他最近的一道楼梯,但皮皮鬼平躺在他旁边的栏杆上也滑了下来。
“哦,好多人以为他脾气暴,波特波特傻宝宝,有些人心肠不算坏,知道他只是太悲哀,皮皮鬼心里最清楚,说他是发疯犯糊涂——”
“闭嘴!”
他左边的一扇门突然间打开了,麦格教授从她的办公室里走了出来,脸色严峻,微微透着疲惫。
“你到底在嚷嚷什么,波特?”她厉声问道,皮皮鬼开心地咯咯笑着,嗖的一下消失了,“你怎么不去上课?”
“我被打发来见你。”哈利倔强地说。
“打发?你这是什么意思,打发?”
哈利把乌姆里奇教授的便条递过去,麦格教授从他手里接过,皱着眉头,用魔杖一敲把封口撕开,展开读了起来。她读着乌姆里奇写的文字,眼睛在方方的镜片后面飞快地来回移动,每读完一行,眼睛就眯得更紧一些。
'Come in here, Potter.'
He followed her inside her study. The door closed automatically behind him.
'Well?' said Professor McGonagall, rounding on him. "Is this true?'
'Is what true?' Harry asked, rather more aggressively than he had intended. 'Professor?' he added, in an attempt to sound more polite.
'Is it true that you shouted at Professor Umbridge?'
'Yes,' said Harry.
'You called her a liar?'
'Yes.'
'You told her He Who Must Not Be Named is back?'
'Yes.'
Professor McGonagall sat down behind her desk, watching Harry closely. Then she said, 'Have a biscuit, Potter.'
“进来,波特。”
哈利跟着她走进她的办公室。门在他身后自动关上了。
“怎么回事?”麦格教授突然厉声对他说,“这是真的吗?”
“什么是真的?”哈利问,语气咄咄逼人,他本来不想这样的。“教授?”他又找补了一句,努力使声音听上去礼貌一点儿。
“你真的冲乌姆里奇教授大吼大叫啦?”
“是的。”哈利说。
“你说她是个骗子啦?”
“是的。”
“你告诉她那个连名字都不能提的魔头回来啦?”
“是的。”
麦格教授在她的书桌后坐了下来,紧皱眉头望着哈利。然后她说:“吃一块饼干吧,波特。”
'Have - what?'
'Have a biscuit,' she repeated impatiently, indicating a tartan tin lying on top of one of the piles of papers on her desk. 'And sit down.'
There had been a previous occasion when Harry, expecting to be caned by Professor McGonagall, had instead been appointed by her to the Gryffindor Quidditch team. He sank into a chair opposite her and helped himself to a Ginger Newt, feeling just as confused and wrong-footed as he had done on that occasion.
Professor McGonagall set down Professor Umbridge's note and looked very seriously at Harry.
'Potter, you need to be careful.'
Harry swallowed his mouthful of Ginger Newt and stared at her. Her tone of voice was not at all what he was used to; it was not brisk, crisp and stern; it was low and anxious and somehow much more human than usual.
'Misbehaviour in Dolores Umbridge's class could cost you much more than house points and a detention.'
'What do you - ?'
'Potter, use your common sense,' snapped Professor McGonagall, with an abrupt return to her usual manner. 'You know where she comes from, you must know to whom she is reporting.'
The bell rang for the end of the lesson. Overhead and all around came the elephantine sounds of hundreds of students on the move.
'It says here she's given you detention every evening this week, starting tomorrow,' Professor McGonagall said, looking down at Umbridge's note again.
'Every evening this week!' Harry repeated, horrified. 'But, Professor, couldn't you - ?'
'No, I couldn't,' said Professor McGonagall flatly.
“吃——什么?”
“吃一块饼干,”她不耐烦地又说了一遍,指着桌上一堆文件上的一只方格图案的饼干盒,“坐下吧。”
以前曾经有过一次,哈利原以为要被麦格教授狠狠教训一顿,结果却被她选进了格兰芬多学院的魁地奇球队。此刻他坐进她对面的椅子里,自己拿了一块生姜蝾螈饼干,感觉就像那次一样迷惑不解,不知所措。
麦格教授放下乌姆里奇教授的便条,非常严肃地望着哈利。
“波特,你需要小心埃”
哈利咽下嘴里的生姜蝾螈饼干,不解地瞪着她。她的语气跟他以前所熟悉的完全不同。不再那么敏捷、干脆和严厉,而是低沉的、忧心忡忡的,似乎比平常更有人情味。
“在多洛雷斯·乌姆里奇的课上不守纪律,你付出的代价可能要比学院扣分和关禁闭严重得多。”
“你这是什么——”
“波特,用你的常识想一想,”麦格教授厉声地说,突然又恢复了她平常的腔调,“你知道她是从哪儿来的,你一定知道她会去向谁汇报。”
下课铃响了。他们的头顶上和周围响起几百个学生同时走动的嘈杂声。
“这里写着,她这个星期每天晚上都要罚你关禁闭,从明天开始。”麦格教授又低头看了看乌姆里奇的便条,说道。
“这星期每天晚上!”哈利重复了一遍,简直被吓坏了,“可是,教授,难道你——”
“不行,我不能。”麦格教授断然地说。
'But - '
'She is your teacher and has every right to give you detention. You will go to her room at five o'clock tomorrow for the first one. Just remember: tread carefully around Dolores Umbridge.'
'But I was telling the truth!' said Harry, outraged. 'Voldemort is back, you know he is; Professor Dumbledore knows he is - '
'For heaven's sake, Potter!' said Professor McGonagall, straightening her glasses angrily (she had winced horribly when he had used Voldemort's name). 'Do you really think this is about truth or lies? It's about keeping your head down and your temper under control!'
She stood up, nostrils wide and mouth very thin, and Harry stood up, too.
'Have another biscuit,' she said irritably, thrusting the tin at him.
'No, thanks,' said Harry coldly.
'Don't be ridiculous,' she snapped.
He took one.
Thanks,' he said grudgingly.
'Didn't you listen to Dolores Umbridge's speech at the start-of-term feast, Potter?'
'Yeah,' said Harry. 'Yeah . . . she said . . . progress will be prohibited or . . . well, it meant that . . . that the Ministry of Magic is trying to interfere at Hogwarts.'
Professor McGonagall eyed him closely for a moment, then sniffed, walked around her desk and held open the door for him.
'Well, I'm glad you listen to Hermione Granger at any rate,' she said, pointing him out of her office.
“可是——”
“她是你的老师,她完全有权罚你关禁闭。你明天下午五点钟开始到她办公室去,开始第一次。记住:在多洛雷斯·乌姆里奇身边要千万留神。”
“可我说的是实话!”哈利愤愤不平地说,“伏地魔回来了,你知道的。邓布利多教授也知道他已经——”
“看在上天的分儿上,波特!”麦格教授生气地正了正眼镜,说道(刚才她听见哈利说出伏地魔的名字,脸部肌肉很厉害地抽搐了一下),“你真的以为问题在于说实话还是说谎话吗?问题在于你必须低着头做人,尽量不招惹麻烦,管好你自己的脾气!”
她站了起来,鼻孔张得大大的,嘴唇抿得紧紧的,哈利也跟着站了起来。
“再吃一块饼干吧。”她烦躁地说,把饼干盒推给了他。
“不用了,谢谢。”哈利冷冷地回答。
“别犯傻啦。”她厉声道。
哈利拿了一块。
“谢谢。”他满不情愿地说。
“多洛雷斯·乌姆里奇在开学宴会上的讲话你没有听吗,波特?”
“听了,”哈利说道,“听了……她说……进步将被禁止……嗯,这就说明……说明魔法部企图干涉霍格沃茨。”
麦格教授打量了他片刻,然后从鼻子里哼了一声,绕过桌子,为他打开了房门。
“好吧,不管怎么说,我很高兴你能听赫敏·格兰杰的话。”她说,示意他离开她的办公室。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表