雄州网-简阳人的网上社区

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 4847|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 12(下)

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-5-31 10:31:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
For a couple of minutes the room was full of the sound of scratching quills on parchment. When everyone had copied down Professor Umbridge's three course aims she asked, 'Has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?'
There was a dull murmur of assent throughout the class.
'I think we'll try that again,' said Professor Umbridge. 'When I ask you a question, I should like you to reply, "Yes, Professor Umbridge", or "No, Professor Umbridge'. So: has everyone got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?'
'Yes, Professor Umbridge,' rang through the room.
'Good,' said Professor Umbridge. I should like you to turn to page five and read "Chapter One, Basics for Beginners". There will be no need to talk.'
Professor Umbridge left the blackboard and settled herself in the chair behind the teacher's desk, observing them all closely with those pouchy toad's eyes. Harry turned to page five of his copy of Defensive Magical Theory and started to read.
It was desperately dull, quite as bad as listening to Professor Binns. He felt his concentration sliding away from him; he had soon read the same line half a dozen times without taking in more than the first few words. Several silent minutes passed. Next to him, Ron was absent-mindedly turning his quill over and over in his fingers, staring at the same spot on the page. Harry looked right and received a surprise to shake him out of his torpor. Hermione had not even opened her copy of Defensive Magical Theory. She was staring fixedly at Professor Umbridge with her hand in the air.
教室里只听得羽毛笔在羊皮纸上写字的沙沙声,两三分钟后,当每个同学都把乌姆里奇教授的三个课程目标抄录下来后,她问道:“是不是每位同学都有一本威尔伯特·斯林卡的《魔法防御理论》?”
班里响起一片喃喃表示肯定的声音。
“我认为我们还要再来一遍,”乌姆里奇教授说道,“当我问你们一个问题时,我希望你们回答‘是的,乌姆里奇教授。’或者‘不,乌姆里奇教授。’再来一遍:是不是每位同学都有一本威尔伯特·斯林卡的《魔法防御理论》?”
“是的,乌姆里奇教授。”全班同学大声回答。
“很好,”乌姆里奇教授说,“我希望你们把书翻到第五页,读一读‘第一章,入门基础原理’。读的时候不要交头接耳。”
乌姆里奇教授离开黑板,在讲台后面的椅子上坐了下来,用那两只眼皮松垂的癞蛤蟆似的眼睛盯着大家。哈利把他那本《魔法防御理论》翻到第五页,开始读了起来。
内容十分枯燥,简直就跟听宾斯教授讲课一样毫无趣味。他感到自己的注意力一点点地减退了。很快,他就盯着一行文字看了六七遍,却只看懂了开头几个单词。几分钟过去了,教室里鸦雀无声。在他旁边,罗恩心不在焉地把羽毛笔在手指上转来转去,眼睛呆呆地瞪着书上同一个地方。哈利把目光转向右边,猛地大吃一惊,一下子从麻木的状态中清醒过来。赫敏甚至没有打开她那本《魔法防御理论》。她眼睛一眨不眨地盯着乌姆里奇教授,一只手高高举起。
Harry could not remember Hermione ever neglecting to read when instructed to, or indeed resisting the temptation to open any book that came under her nose. He looked at her enquiringly, but she merely shook her head slightly to indicate that she was not about to answer questions, and continued to stare at Professor Umbridge, who was looking just as resolutely in another direction.
After several more minutes had passed, however, Harry was not the only one watching Hermione. The chapter they had been instructed to read was so tedious that more and more people were choosing to watch Hermione's mute attempt to catch Professor Umbridge's eye rather than struggle on with 'Basics for Beginners'.
When more than half the class were staring at Hermione rather than at their books, Professor Umbridge seemed to decide that she could ignore the situation no longer.
'Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?' she asked Hermione, as though she had only just noticed her.
'Not about the chapter, no,' said Hermione.
'Well, we're reading just now,' said Professor Umbridge, showing her small pointed teeth. 'If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class.'
'I've got a query about your course aims,' said Hermione.
Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows.
'And your name is?'
'Hermione Granger,' said Hermione.
哈利记得赫敏以前从来不在老师要求读书的时候不照着做,或能够抵挡住诱惑,不去翻开任何一本出现在她面前的书。哈利询问地看着她,但她只是微微摇了摇头,表示她现在不想回答问题,随即继续盯着乌姆里奇教授,而乌姆里奇教授的目光正同样坚定地望着完全相反的方向。
又过了几分钟,注视着赫敏的可不止哈利一个人了。老师吩咐他们读的那一章实在太啰嗦乏味了,越来越多的同学都更愿意注视赫敏怎样不出声地吸引乌姆里奇教授的目光,而不愿再去吭哧吭哧地啃什么“入门基础原理”。
后来,班上超过一半的同学都在盯着赫敏,而不是看着他们的课本了,乌姆里奇教授似乎认为她再也不能对这种情况视而不见了。
“亲爱的,你是对这一章的内容有什么疑问吗?”她问赫敏,似乎刚刚注意到她。
“不,不是关于这一章的内容。”赫敏说。
“噢,我们现在是在读书,”乌姆里奇教授说,露出嘴里又小又尖的牙齿,“如果你有其他问题,我们可以下课的时候再谈。”
“我对你的课程目标有一个疑问。”赫敏说。
乌姆里奇教授扬起了眉毛。
“你叫什么名字?”
“赫敏·格兰杰。”赫敏说。
'Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully' said Professor Umbridge in a voice of determined sweetness.
'Well, I don't,' said Hermione bluntly. There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells.'
There was a short silence in which many members of the class turned their heads to frown at the three course aims still written on the blackboard.
'Using defensive spells?' Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. 'Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?'
'We're not going to use magic?' Ron exclaimed loudly.
'Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Mr - ?'
'Weasley,' said Ron, thrusting his hand into the air.
Professor Umbridge, smiling still more widely, turned her back or. him. Harry and Hermione immediately raised their hands too. Professor Umbridge's pouchy eyes lingerec. on Harry for a moment before she addressed Hermione.
'Yes, Miss Granger? You wanted to ask something else?'
'Yes,' said Hermione. 'Surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practise defensive spells?'
'Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?' asked Professor Umbridge, in her falsely sweet voice.
“好吧,格兰杰小姐,我认为,这些课程目标写得非常清楚,只要你把它们从头到尾仔细读一遍。”乌姆里奇教授用坚定不移的嗲嗲的口吻说。
“可是,我不这么认为,”赫敏直言不讳地说,“那上面一个字也没有提到使用防御性咒语。”
一阵短暂的沉默,班里许多同学都扭过头仔细看着仍然写在黑板上的那三条课程目标。
“使用防御性咒语?”乌姆里奇教授轻声笑着重复道,“哎呀,我无法想象在我的课堂里会出现需要你们使用防御性咒语的情况,格兰杰小姐。你总不至于认为会在上课时受到攻击吧?”
“我们不能使用魔法吗?”罗恩大声喊了一句。
“在我的班上,同学想要讲话必须先举手,你是——”
“韦斯莱。”罗恩说着赶紧把手举了起来。
乌姆里奇教授笑得更慈祥了,一转身背对着罗恩。哈利和赫敏马上也举起了手。乌姆里奇教授那双松泡泡的眼睛在哈利身上停留了一会儿,然后她对赫敏说道:“怎么,格兰杰小姐?你还有别的问题要问吗?”
“是的,”赫敏说道,“黑魔法防御术的总体目标当然应该是练习防御性咒语,是吗?”
“你是魔法部专门培训的教育专家吗,格兰杰小姐?”乌姆里奇教授用她那甜得发腻的假声音问。
'No, but - '
'Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the "whole point" of any class is. Wizards much older and cleverer than you have devised our new programme of study. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way - '
'What use is that?' said Harry loudly. 'If we're going to be attacked, it won't be in a - '
'Hand, Mr Potter!' sang Professor Umbridge.
Harry thrust his fist in the air. Again, Professor Umbridge promptly turned away from him, but now several other people had their hands up, too.
'And your name is?' Professor Umbridge said to Dean.
'Dean Thomas.'
'Well, Mr Thomas?'
'Well, it's like Harry said, isn't it?' said Dean. 'If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk free.'
'I repeat,' said Professor Umbridge, smiling in a very irritating fashion at Dean, 'do you expect to be attacked during my classes?'
'No, but - '
“不是,但——”
“那好,我想你恐怕没有资格判断任何一门课的‘总体目标’是什么。我们的最新学习计划,是由比你年长得多、聪明得多的巫师们设计制定的。你们将以一种安全的、没有风险的方式学习防御性咒语——”
“那有什么用呢?”哈利大声问,“如果我们受到攻击,那肯定不会是以一种——”
“举手,波特先生!”乌姆里奇教授用唱歌般的声音说。
哈利赶紧把手高高举起。乌姆里奇教授又故伎重演,立刻转过脸去看别的地方,可是现在又有另外几个学生举起了手。
“你叫什么名字?”乌姆里奇教授问迪安。
“迪安·托马斯。”
“说吧,托马斯先生。”
“嗯,就像哈利说的那样,不是吗?”迪安说,“如果我们受到攻击,是不可能没有风险的。”
“我再说一遍,”乌姆里奇教授说,一边以那种特别令人恼火的方式朝迪安微笑着,“你认为在我的班里会受到攻击吗?”
“不会,可是——”
Professor Umbridge talked over him. 'I do not wish to criticise the way things have been run in this school,' she said, an unconvincing smile stretching her wide mouth, 'but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed - not to mention,' she gave a nasty little laugh, 'extremely dangerous half-breeds.'
'If you mean Professor Lupin,' piped up Dean angrily, 'he was the best we ever -
'Hand, Mr Thomas! As I was saying - you have been introduced to spells that have been complex, inappropriate to your age group and potentially lethal. You have been frightened into believing that you are likely to meet Dark attacks every other day - '
'No we haven't,' Hermione said, 'we just - '
'Your hand is not up, Miss Granger!'
Hermione put up her hand. Professor Umbridge turned away from her.
'It is my understanding that my predecessor not only performed illegal curses in front of you, he actually performed them on you.'
'Well, he turned out to be a maniac, didn't he?' said Dean hotly. 'Mind you, we still learned loads.'
'Your hand is not up, Mr Thomas!' trilled Professor Umbridge. 'Now, it is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be more than sufficient to get you through your examination, which, after all, is what school is all about. And your name is?' she added, staring at Parvati, whose hand had just shot up.
乌姆里奇教授的声音压过了迪安的声音。“我不愿意批评这个学校的一些办学方式,”她说,脸上堆起虚假的笑容,把那张阔嘴咧得更大了,“但是在这个班里你们接触了几个很不负责任的巫师,确实很不负责任——更不用说,”她发出一声刺耳的笑声,“还有特别危险的半人半兽。”
“如果你指的是卢平教授,”迪安气愤地说,“他可是我们遇到的最好的老师——”
“举手,托马斯先生!正如我刚才说的,他们给你们介绍的魔法都很复杂,不适合你们这个年龄段,而且具有极大的潜在危害。你们被吓得不轻,竟然以为自己三天两头就会遭到黑魔法的攻击——”
“不,我们没有,”赫敏说,“我们只是——”
“你没有举手,格兰杰小姐!”
赫敏举起手,乌姆里奇教授转过脸去。
“我认为,我的前任不仅在你们面前施用了非法的咒语,而且还在你们身上施用了这些咒语。”
“可是,后来发现他是个疯子嘛,是不是?”迪安气呼呼地说道,“说实在的,我们仍然学到不少东西呢。”
“你没有举手,托马斯先生!”乌姆里奇教授用颤颤的声音说,“好了,魔法部认为,理论知识能够更有效地帮助你们通过考试,说到底,让学生通过考试才是学校的宗旨所在。你叫什么名字?”她瞪着刚刚把手举起来的帕瓦蒂问道。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表