雄州网-简阳人的网上社区

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 1359|回复: 0

晨韵推荐:双语美文--Facebook COO桑德伯格清华毕业演讲:命运偏爱勇者(上)

[复制链接]
发表于 2015-7-9 09:28:14 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
6月27日,Facebook公司首席运营官谢丽尔•桑德伯格(Sheryl Sandberg)来到清华大学经济管理学院毕业典礼演讲。她讲到了自己过去十几年从政府机构到科技公司的艰难转型,也讲到了作为大龄人士在一家年轻的互联网公司,与扎克伯格这个比她小15岁,以及比她远远年轻的团队在过去几年相处的磨合与成长。
以下是桑德伯格演讲全文:
I am honored to be here today to address Dean Yingyi Qian, Tsinghua School of Economics and Management's distinguished faculty, proud family members, supportive friends, and most importantly, the class of 2015. Unlike my boss, Mark Zuckerberg, I do not speak Chinese. For that I apologize. But he did ask me to pass along this message -- zhuhe. I am thrilled to be here to congratulate this magnificent class on your graduation.
钱颖一院长、杰出的清华经管学院的教师们、自豪的毕业生亲属、鼎力支持他们的朋友们、以及更重要的,清华经管学院2015届的毕业生们:我很荣幸今天来到这里为你们做毕业典礼演讲。同我的老板马克·扎克伯格不一样的是,我不会讲中文。为此我感到抱歉。但是,他请我用中文转达他对大家的问候——祝贺。今天能在这里祝贺优秀的同学们毕业,我感到非常兴奋。
When Dean Qian invited me to speak today, I thought, come talk to a group of people way younger and cooler than I am? I can do that. I do that every day at Facebook, since Mark is 15 years younger than I am and many of our employees are more his contemporaries than mine. I like being surrounded by young people, except when they say to me, "What was it like being at university without a mobile phone?" or worse, "Sheryl, can you come here? We need to see what old people think of this feature."
当钱颖一院长邀请我今天来做演讲时,我想,来给远比我年轻比我酷的人演讲?这事儿我能做。我在Facebook每天都要做这样的事情。因为扎克伯格比我小15岁,并且我们的大多数员工是他的同龄人,而不是我这个年龄的。我喜欢和年轻人在一起,除非他们问我:“你在大学时没有手机用是怎样的日子?”甚至更糟糕的问题是,“谢丽尔,你能过来一下吗?我们想知道岁数大的人对这个新功能有什么看法?”
I graduated from college in 1991 and business school in 1995. This was not that long ago. But I can tell you: the world has changed an awful lot in just 25 years. My business school class tried to have our school's first online class. We had to pass out a list of screen names because it was unthinkable to put your real name on the Internet. And it did not work because the system kept crashing -- it just wasn't possible for 90 people to communicate at once online.
我1991年从哈佛大学本科毕业,获得经济学学士学位;1995年从哈佛商学院毕业,获得MBA学位——所以可以说,我上了美国的清华大学。其实这并不是那么久远的事情。但是我能告诉你的是,这个世界在这短短的25年当中发生了翻天覆地的变化。在哈佛商学院时,我所在的班级曾尝试进行学院的第一次在线课程。我们当时必须给每人发一张写有我们网名的列表,因为那时在网上使用真名是件让人难以想象的事。但是最后还是没有搞成,因为电脑系统不断崩溃——当时根本无法实现90人同时在线交流。
But for a few brief moments in between crashes, we glimpsed the future -- a future where technology would connect us to our colleagues, our relatives, our friends. The world we live in today is one I could not have imagined when I was sitting where you are. And 25 years from now, you will have helped shape your generation's world.
不过在系统崩溃之间的几个短暂瞬间里,我们窥见了未来——一个技术可以实现我们和同事、家人、朋友连接在一起的未来。现在的世界已经是我坐在你们这个位置时难以想象的世界了。而从现在起的未来25年,你们将帮助塑造属于你们这一代人的世界。
As graduates of Tsinghua, you will be leaders not just in China, but globally. China is a world leader in terms of educational attainment and economic growth. It is not just political and business leaders that recognize the importance of China. Many American parents realize it as well; the hardest schools to get into in the San Francisco Bay area where I live are those that teach Chinese.
作为清华的毕业生,你们不仅将成为中国的领袖,还将成为全球的领袖。中国在教育程度及经济增长方面都已是世界的领先者。不仅是政界和商界的领袖们认识到中国的重要性,许多美国的父母也认识到了这一点。在我所居住的旧金山湾区,最难进的中小学校正是那些教汉语的学校。
But the fact is countries don't lead. People lead.
但事实是,国家不能领导,要靠人来领导。
As you graduate today, you start your path toward leadership. What kind of leader will you be? How much impact on others will you have? What will be your mark on the world?
从你们今天毕业起,你们就开启了成为领导者的征程。你会成为什么样的领导者?你会对他人产生多大的影响?你将会在世界上留下什么样的印记?
At Facebook, we have posters on our walls to remind us to think big -- to challenge ourselves to do more each and every day. There are important leadership lessons reflected in these posters -- and today, I want to cover four of them that I think can be meaningful for you.
在Facebook公司里,我们的墙上贴着提醒我们要有远大目标的海报——挑战自我每一天都要做得更多。这些海报中蕴含了一些重要的有关领导力的经验——今天,我想分享其中我认为会对你们有意义的四点。
First, fortune favors the bold.
第一、命运偏爱勇者。
Facebook exists because Mark believed that the world would be a better place if people could use technology to connect as individuals. He believed it so much that he dropped out of Harvard College to pursue that mission and he fought to hold onto it over the years. What Mark did was not lucky. It was bold.
Facebook公司之所以存在,是因为扎克伯格相信,通过科技实现个人之间的互联,可以使这个世界变得更美好。他深信于此,以至于从哈佛大学本科辍学去追求自己的理想,并且这些年来他一直为此奋斗不止。扎克伯格靠的不是运气,而是勇气。
It's unusual to find your passion as early as Mark. It took me far longer to figure out what I wanted to do. When I was sitting in a graduation robe, I could not have considered a job at Facebook because the Internet did not exist -- and Mark was only 11 years old. I thought I would only ever work for the government or a philanthropic organization because I believed these institutions made the world a better place while companies only worked towards profits. But when I was working at the U.S. Treasury Department, I saw from afar how much impact technology companies were having on the world and I changed my mind. So when my government job ended, I decided to move to Silicon Valley.
能像扎克伯格那样这么早就发现自己的热情所在,是一件不同寻常的事。我花了长得多的时间才发现自己到底想做什么。在我穿着学位服参加毕业典礼时,我无论如何也想不到自己会到Facebook工作,因为那时互联网还不存在——并且扎克伯格当时只有11岁。我当时想我只会在政府或者非营利组织工作,因为我相信这些机构或组织可以让世界变得更美好,而公司是以盈利为导向的。但是,当我在美国财政部工作的时候,我看到了科技公司在很大程度上影响着世界,于是我改变了自己的想法。因此,当我结束了在政府部门的工作后,我决定搬到硅谷去。
In retrospect, this seems like a shrewd move. But in 2001, it was questionable at best. The tech bubble had burst. Large companies were doing massive layoffs and small companies were going out of business. I gave myself four months to find a job. It took almost a year. In one of my first interviews, a tech company CEO said to me, "I took this meeting as a favor to a friend but I would never hire someone like you -- people from the government can't work in technology."
回过头看,这似乎是一个明智的举动。但是在2001年,这是个可被质疑的决定,因为那时科技泡沫刚刚破灭。大公司都在大规模裁员,小公司倒闭如潮。我给自己4个月的期限要找到一份工作,但是我足足花了将近一年的时间。在我最初接受的某次面试当中,有一个公司的首席执行官对我说:“我之所以面试你,完全是受朋友所托,但是我根本不会考虑聘用像你这样的人——在政府工作过的人无法胜任科技公司的工作。”
Eventually, I persuaded someone to hire me, and 14 years later, I still love working in tech. It was not my original plan, but I got there -- eventually.
最终,我还是说服了某个公司雇佣了我。14年过去了,我仍然热爱在科技公司工作。这虽然不是我的初衷,但是我最终还是找到了我的热情所在。
I hope if you find yourself on one path but longing for something else, you find a way to get there. And if that isn't right, try again. Try until you find something that stirs your passion, a job that matters to you and matters to others. It's a luxury to combine passion and contribution. It's also a clear path to happiness.
我希望,如果你在一条道路上前行,却发现自己的心另有所属,那么就请你去独辟蹊径,以到达理想的彼岸。如果一次没有成功,请继续锲而不舍地尝试。直到找到能点燃你激情的,对自己、对他人都有意义的工作。能将激情和奉献完美结合是一种奢侈。一旦达成,幸福将至。
Second, feedback is a gift.
第二、反馈是一种本领。
At Facebook, I knew that the most important determinant of my performance would be my relationship with Mark. When I joined, I asked Mark for a commitment that he would give me feedback every week so that anything that bothered him would be aired and discussed quickly. Mark not only said yes but immediately added that he wanted it to be reciprocal. For the first few years, we stuck to this routine and met every Friday afternoon to voice concerns big and small. As the years went by, sharing honest reactions became part of our relationship and we now do so in real time rather than waiting for the end of the week.
在Facebook,我知道决定我工作绩效的最重要的因素是我与扎克伯格的关系。当我刚加入Facebook公司时,我就让他做出承诺,每星期都要给我工作反馈,这样任何困扰他的事情都可以尽快讨论。他不仅爽快地答应了,并且立即说他也希望我也对他做反馈。在最初的几年当中,我们都坚持这样的惯例,每周五下午见面谈论我们所关心的事情,事无巨细。几年下来,分享真实的意见已经成为我们关系当中很自然的一部分,我们现在随时会这么做,而不必再等到周五了。
Getting feedback from your boss is one thing, but it's every bit as important to get feedback from those who work for you. This is not an easy thing to do as employees are often eager to please those above them and don't want to criticize or question their higher-ups.
从自己老板那里获得反馈很重要,但是从自己的下属那里获得反馈也同样至关重要。这绝非易事,因为员工总是太过于渴望去取悦他们的上司,而不去批评或质疑他们的上司。
One of my favorite examples of this comes from Wall Street. In 1990, Bob Rubin became the CEO of Goldman Sachs. At the end of his first week, he looked at Goldman's books and noticed large investments in gold. He asked someone why. The answer? "That was you, sir." "Me?" he replied. Apparently, the day before he had been walking around on the trading floor and he commented to someone that "gold looks interesting." This got repeated as "Rubin likes gold" and someone spent hundreds of millions of dollars to make the new boss happy.
我最喜欢的一个例子是来自华尔街的。1990年,鲍勃·鲁宾成为高盛公司的首席执行官。上任满第一周,在查看公司账目时,他发现有一大笔在黄金上的投资。他问为什么会投资黄金?结果答案是,“因为您,先生。”“我?”他迷惑了。显然是因为在头一天他在交易所视察时曾经说过一句“黄金看起来有点意思”,结果这句话就被传成了“鲁宾喜欢黄金”,然后就有人花了几百万美元来讨老板的欢心。
On a smaller scale, I have faced a similar challenge. When I joined Facebook, one of my tasks was to build the business side of the company -- but without destroying the engineering-driven culture that made Facebook great. So one of the things I tried to do was discourage people from doing formal PowerPoint presentations for meetings with me. At first, I asked nicely. Everyone ignored me and kept doing their presentations. So about two years in, I said, "OK, I usually hate rules but I now have a rule: No more PowerPoint in my meetings."
我也遇到过类似的挑战,当然比这事的影响要在小一些的量级上。我刚加入Facebook时,我的职责之一是建立公司的商业运作——但与此同时还不能破坏成就Facebook的那种工程技术驱动的文化。所以我尝试做的一件事就是鼓励人们在和我开会时不要做正式的电子演示文稿。最开始我讲得很客气,结果所有人都无视我的要求,仍然在做电子演示文稿。大概过了两年吧,我就说,“好了,我通常不喜欢立规矩,但我现在必须定个规矩,和我开会时谁也不能再做电子演示文稿了。”
About a month later I was about to address our global sales team, when someone said to me, "Before you get on that stage, you really should know everyone's pretty upset about the no PowerPoint with clients thing." I was shocked. I had never banned these presentations for clients! I just did not want them in meetings with me. How could we present to our clients without PowerPoint? So I got on the stage and said, "One, I meant no PowerPoint with me. And two, next time you hear a bad idea -- like not doing proper client presentations -- speak up. Even if you think it is what I have asked for, tell me I am wrong!"
大约一个月之后,当我正要对我们的全球销售团队讲话时,一个同事对我说,“在你上台之前,有件事你应该知道,大家对你规定的‘和客户会面不做电子演示文稿’的规定很有意见。”我感到很震惊,我从来没有禁止过给客户做电子演示文稿!我只是不希望他们在和我开会的时候用电子演示文稿。和客户展示产品时怎么能不做电子演示文稿?所以我上台就说,“首先,我说的是和我开会时不用电子演示文稿。其次,下次你们再听到坏点子——就像和客户会面不做电子演示文稿这类——请大声说出来。哪怕你知道那话是我说的,请告诉我这是错误的!”
A good leader recognizes that most employees won't feel comfortable challenging authority, so it falls upon authority to solicit feedback. I learned from my PowerPoint mistake. I now ask my colleagues "What could I do better?" And I always thank the person who has the guts to answer me honestly, often by praising them publicly. I firmly believe that you lead best when you walk side-by-side with your colleagues. When you don't just talk but you also listen.
一个好的领导者知道大部分雇员不愿意挑战权威,所以领导者就有义务主动要求反馈。我从电子演示文稿事件中吸取了教训。我现在经常问我的同事“有哪些地方我还能做得更好?”我总是对那些敢于对我说实话的人心怀感激,并且当众表扬他们。我深信只有你和你的同事并肩做战,只有当你不仅指挥而且也聆听时,你才能成为最好的领导。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表