雄州网-简阳人的网上社区

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 5440|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 13(下)

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-7-24 11:00:20 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
The second detention was just as bad as the previous one. The skin on the back of Harry's hand became irritated more quickly now and was soon red and inflamed. Harry thought it unlikely that it would keep healing as effectively for long. Soon the cut would remain etched into his hand and Umbridge would, perhaps, be satisfied. He let no gasp of pain escape him, however, and from the moment of entering the room to the moment of his dismissal, again past midnight, he said nothing but 'good evening' and 'goodnight'.
His homework situation, however, was now desperate, and when he returned to the Gryffindor common room he did not, though exhausted, go to bed, but opened his books and began Snape's moonstone essay. It was half past two by the time he had finished it. He knew he had done a poor job, but there was no help for it; unless he had something to give in he would be in detention with Snape next. He then dashed off answers to the questions Professor McGonagall had set them, cobbled together something on the proper handling of Bowtruckles for Professor Grubbly-Plank, and staggered up to bed, where he fell fully clothed on top of the covers and fell asleep immediately.
Thursday passed in a haze of tiredness. Ron seemed very sleepy too, though Harry could not see why he should be. Harry's third detention passed in the same way as the previous two, except that after two hours the words 'I must not tell lies' did not fade from the back of Harry's hand, but remained scratched there, oozing droplets of blood. The pause in the pointed quills scratching made Professor Umbridge look up.
第二次关禁闭和第一次同样痛苦难熬。哈利手背上的皮肤现在变得更敏感,很快就变红了,像着了火一样地疼。哈利觉得过不了多久,伤口就不会那样有效地愈合了。过不了多久,那些字就会深深刻进他的手背,乌姆里奇大概就会满意了。不过,哈利拼命忍着不发出疼痛的喘息,而且,从他走进办公室直到乌姆里奇放他离去——又是午夜之后,他只说了两句话,“晚上好”和“晚安”。
他的家庭作业现在已经到了不堪收拾的地步,因此他返回格兰芬多公共休息室后,尽管累得一点力气也没有了,但他并没有上床睡觉,而是打开书本,开始写斯内普布置的那篇关于月长石的论文。他写完时已经是两点半了。他知道写得很糟糕,但也没有办法,他必须交点东西上去,不然接下来就要被斯内普关禁闭了。接着,他匆匆回答了麦格教授给他们布置的几个问题,又在护树罗锅身上合适的部位拼凑了一些东西,准备拿去应付格拉普兰教授,然后才踉踉跄跄地上床睡觉,连衣服也没脱,囫囵倒在被子上,立刻就沉沉地睡着了。
星期四是在昏昏沉沉的疲劳中度过的。罗恩看上去也是一脸困倦,哈利真不明白他为什么会这样。哈利的第三次关禁闭跟前两次没什么两样,只是过了两个小时后,哈利手背上的我不可以说谎便不再愈合,一道道红红的划痕留在那里,冒出细细的血珠。乌姆里奇教授听不到羽毛笔笔尖的沙沙响声,便抬起头来。
'Ah,' she said softly, moving around her desk to examine his hand herself. 'Good. That ought to serve as a reminder to you, oughtn't it? You may leave for tonight.'
'Do I still have to come back tomorrow?' said Harry, picking up his schoolbag with his left hand rather than his smarting right one.
'Oh yes,' said Professor Umbridge, smiling as widely as before. 'Yes, I think we can etch the message a little deeper with another evenings work.'
Harry had never before considered the possibility that there might be another teacher in the world he hated more than Snape, but as he walked back towards Gryffindor Tower he had to admit he had found a strong contender. She's evil, he thought, as he climbed a staircase to the seventh floor, she's an evil, twisted, mad old-
'Ron?'
He had reached the top of the stairs, turned right and almost walked into Ron, who was lurking behind a statue of Lachlan the Lanky, clutching his broomstick. He gave a great leap of surprise when he saw Harry and attempted to hide his new Cleansweep Eleven behind his back.
'What are you doing?'
'Er - nothing. What are you doing?'
Harry frowned at him.
'Come on, you can tell me! What are you hiding here for?'
'I'm - I'm hiding from Fred and George, if you must know,' said Ron. They just went past with a bunch of first-years, I bet they're testing stuff on them again, I mean, they can't do it in the common room now, can they, not with Hermione there.'
He was talking in a very fast, feverish way.
“啊,”她温柔地说,绕过她的书桌过来查看哈利的手,“很好。这应该可以时时提醒你了,是不是?你今晚可以走了。”
“我明天还要来吗?”哈利问,一边用左手拎起书包,因为右手疼痛难忍。
“哦,是的,”乌姆里奇教授说,笑得还像以前一样肉麻,“是的,我想再有一夜的努力,我们可以把这句话刻得更深一些。”
哈利以前认为,他不可能恨世界上的哪个老师比恨斯内普更厉害,可是当他走回格兰芬多的塔楼时,他不得不承认为斯内普找到了一位强有力的竞争对手。这个女人是歹毒的,他一边爬上通往八楼的楼梯一边想着,她是一个邪恶的、变态的、疯狂的老——
“罗恩?”
他走到楼梯顶上,向右一转,差点儿撞到罗恩身上。罗恩鬼鬼祟祟地藏在瘦子拉克伦的雕像后面,手里抓着他的飞天扫帚。罗恩看见哈利时惊得跳了起来,赶紧把他那把崭新的横扫11藏到背后。
“你在做什么?”
“嗯——没什么。你在做什么?”
哈利朝他皱起眉头。
“行了,快告诉我吧!你藏在这里搞什么鬼?”
“我——我在躲弗雷德和乔治,如果你一定要知道的话。”罗恩说道,“他们刚和一群一年级新生从这里走过去,我敢说他们又在新生身上试验那些玩意儿了。我是说,现在只要有赫敏在,他们就不能在公共休息室里做这件事了。”
他慌乱地、滔滔不绝地说。
'But what have you got your broom for, you haven't been flying, have you?' Harry asked.
'I - well - well, OK, I'll tell you, but don't laugh, all right?' Ron said defensively, turning redder with every second. 'I - I thought I'd try out for Gryffindor Keeper now I've got a decent broom. There. Go on. Laugh.'
'I'm not laughing,' said Harry. Ron blinked. 'It's a brilliant idea! It'd be really cool if you got on the team! I've never seen you play Keeper, are you good?'
'I'm not bad,' said Ron, who looked immensely relieved at Harry's reaction. 'Charlie, Fred and George always made me keep for them when they were training during the holidays.'
'So you've been practising tonight?'
'Every evening since Tuesday . . . just on my own, though. I've been trying to bewitch Quaffles to fly at me, but it hasn't been easy and I don't know how much use it'll be.' Ron looked nervous and anxious. 'Fred and George are going to laugh themselves stupid when I turn up for the tryouts. They haven't stopped taking the mickey out of me since I got made a prefect.'
'I wish I was going to be there,' said Harry bitterly, as they set off together towards the common room.
'Yeah, so do - Harry, what's that on the back of your hand?'
Harry, who had just scratched his nose with his free right hand, tried to hide it, but had as much success as Ron with his Cleansweep.
“可是你拿着你的扫帚做什么?你该不是在飞吧,嗯?”哈利问。
“我——嗯——嗯,好吧,我告诉你,可是不许笑话我,好吗?”罗恩提防地说,脸红得越来越厉害了,“我——我想,既然我有了一把体面的扫帚,我不妨去试试参加格兰芬多守门员的选拔。好了,你笑吧。”
“我没有笑。”哈利说。罗恩眨了眨眼睛。“这个主意太棒了!如果你能进入球队,真是再好不过了!我还从没有见你当过守门员呢,你技术怎么样?”
“不算坏吧,”罗恩说,看到哈利的反应,他似乎大松了一口气,“查理、弗雷德和乔治在假期里练球时,总是叫我当守门员。”
“这么说,你今晚一直在练习?”
“每天晚上都练,从星期二开始……不过就我一个人。我一直想给鬼飞球施魔法,让它们朝我飞来,可是不太容易,我不知道这会有多少用。”罗恩显得很紧张和焦虑,“弗雷德和乔治看到我也来参加选拔,肯定要笑掉大牙的。自从我被选为级长后,他们就一直没有停止过嘲笑我。”
“真希望到时候我也能去。”哈利苦涩地说,他们一起朝公共休息室走去。
“是啊,那么你——哈利,你的手背上是什么?”
哈利刚才用他没拎书包的右手挠了挠鼻子,现在赶紧想藏起来,可是已经来不及了,就像罗恩想藏起他的扫帚一样没有成功。
'It's just a cut - it's nothing - it's - '
But Ron had grabbed Harry's forearm and pulled the back of Harry's hand up level with his eyes. There was a pause, during which he stared at the words carved into the skin, then, looking sick, he released Harry
'I thought you said she was just giving you lines?'
Harry hesitated, but after all, Ron had been honest with him, so he told Ron the truth about the hours he had been spending in Umbridge's office.
The old hag!' Ron said in a revolted whisper as they came to a halt in front of the Fat Lady, who was dozing peacefully with her head against her frame. 'She's sick! Go to McGonagall, say something!'
'No,' said Harry at once. 'I'm not giving her the satisfaction of knowing she's got to me.'
'Got to you? You can't let her get away with this!'
'I don't know how much power McGonagall's got over her,' said Harry.
'Dumbledore, then, tell Dumbledore!'
“只是划伤了——没有什么——没有——”
可是罗恩一把抓住哈利的胳膊,把哈利的手背拉到他的眼前。他呆呆地望着刻进皮肤里的那一行字,片刻之后,他显出恶心得要吐的样子,放开了哈利。
“我记得你说她只是罚你写句子呀?”
哈利迟疑着,可毕竟罗恩已经对他说了实话,于是他把在乌姆里奇办公室里几个小时的遭遇如实地告诉了罗恩。
“那个老母夜叉!”罗恩厌恶地低声说道,他们在胖夫人面前停下脚步,胖夫人正把脑袋靠在像框上,恬静地打着瞌睡,“她不正常!去找麦格说说这个情况!”
“不,”哈利不假思索地说,“我不想让她知道她弄得我心烦意乱,她会感到得意的。”
“弄得你心烦意乱?你不能让她白白地这么做!”
“我不知道麦格有多大权力能够管束她。”哈利说。
“邓布利多,那就告诉邓布利多!”
'No,' said Harry flatly.
'Why not?'
'He's got enough on his mind,' said Harry, but that was not the true reason. He was not going to go to Dumbledore for help when Dumbledore had not spoken to him once since June.
'Well, I reckon you should - ' Ron began, but he was interrupted by the Fat Lady, who had been watching them sleepily and now burst out, 'Are you going to give me the password or will I have to stay awake all night waiting for you to finish your conversation?'
Friday dawned sullen and sodden as the rest of the week. Though Harry automatically glanced towards the staff table when he entered the Great Hall, it was without any real hope of seeing Hagrid, and he turned his mind immediately to his more pressing problems, such as the mountainous pile of homework he had to do and the prospect of yet another detention with Umbridge.
Two things sustained Harry that day. One was the thought that it was almost the weekend; the other was that, dreadful though his final detention with Umbridge was sure to be, he had a distant view of the Quidditch pitch from her window and might, with luck, be able to see something of Ron's tryout. These were rather feeble rays of light, it was true, but Harry was grateful for anything that might lighten his present darkness; he had never had a worse first week of term at Hogwarts.
“不。”哈利淡淡地说。
“为什么不?”
“他需要考虑的事情太多了。”哈利说,其实这不是真正的原因。他不想到邓布利多那里寻求帮助,因为邓布利多从六月份起就没有对他说过一次话。
“那么,我想你应该——”罗恩话没说完,就被胖夫人打断了,她刚才一直睡眼矇眬地望着他们,这会儿忍不住嚷了起来,“你们到底给不给我口令,还是要我整夜在这里醒着,等你们两个把话说完?”
星期五早晨,天色还是和这个星期的前几天一样阴沉而潮湿。哈利走进礼堂时,尽管还是习惯性地朝教工桌子扫了一眼,但实际上已经对看到海格不抱什么希望了。他立刻就把思路转到了一些更加迫在眉睫的事情上,比如必须完成的堆积如山的家庭作业,还有必须再到乌姆里奇那里去关一次禁闭。
那天有两件事情给了哈利一些信心。一是他想到马上就要到周末了,二是尽管最后一次到乌姆里奇那里关禁闭肯定会很恐怖,但从她办公室的窗户能远远地看见魁地奇球场,如果运气好,说不定还能多少看见一点罗恩的选拔情况呢。当然,这些都是十分渺茫的希望之光,可是哈利目前的处境一片黑暗,但凡有什么事情能带来一点点光亮,他都会感到欣慰。他在霍格沃茨还从未经历过比这更糟糕的开学第一个星期呢。
At five o'clock that evening he knocked on Professor Umbridge's office door for what he sincerely hoped would be the final time, and was told to enter. The blank parchment lay ready for him on the lace-covered table, the pointed black quill beside it.
'You know what to do, Mr Potter,' said Umbridge, smiling sweetly at him.
Harry picked up the quill and glanced through the window. If he just shifted his chair an inch or so to the right . . . on the pretext of shifting himself closer to the table, he managed it. He now had a distant view of the Gryffindor Quidditch team soaring up and down the pitch, while half a dozen black figures stood at the foot of the three high goalposts, apparently awaiting their turn to Keep. It was impossible to tell which one was Ron at this distance.
I must not tell lies, Harry wrote. The cut in the back of his right hand opened and began to bleed afresh.
I must not tell lies. The cut dug deeper, stinging and smarting.
I must not tell lies. Blood trickled down his wrist.
He chanced another glance out of the window. Whoever was defending the goalposts now was doing a very poor job indeed. Katie Bell scored twice in the few seconds Harry dared to watch. Hoping very much that the Keeper wasn't Ron, he dropped his eyes back to the parchment shining with blood.
那天傍晚五点钟,他敲响了乌姆里奇教授办公室的门——他满心希望这是最后一次。乌姆里奇喊他进去,在铺着花边的桌子上,那张空白羊皮纸已经在等着他了,旁边放着那支尖利的黑色羽毛笔。
“你知道该怎么做,波特先生。”乌姆里奇说,一边嗲兮兮地冲他笑着。
哈利拿起羽毛笔,朝窗外望了一眼。只要把椅子再往右边挪一两寸……他假装往桌子跟前挪了挪,做到了这一点。现在他能远远地看见格兰芬多魁地奇球队的队员们在球场上飞来飞去的身影了,三根高高的球门柱底下站着六七个黑乎乎的人影,显然在等着当守门员。离得太远了,不可能看清哪一个是罗恩。
我不可以说谎,哈利写道。他右手背上的伤口裂开了,再次流出鲜血。
我不可以说谎。伤口陷得更深,火辣辣地剧痛。
我不可以说谎。鲜血顺着手腕流淌下来。
他冒险又朝窗外望了一眼。现在防守球门柱的不知是谁,表现糟糕透了。在哈利鼓足勇气偷看的几秒钟内,凯蒂·贝尔就连进了两球。他垂下目光,重新望着血迹斑斑的羊皮纸,真希望那个守门员不是罗恩。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表