雄州网-简阳人的网上社区

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 2643|回复: 0

[晨韵英语] 晨韵推荐:双语美文--哈利波特与凤凰社 Chapter 13(上)

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-6-13 10:53:49 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
IP:四川成都
Dinner in the Great Hall that night was not a pleasant experience for Harry. The news about his shouting match with Umbridge had travelled exceptionally fast even by Hogwarts' standards. He heard whispers all around him as he sat eating between Ron and Hermione. The funny thing was that none of the whisperers seemed to mind him overhearing what they were saying about him. On the contrary, it was as though they were hoping he would get angry and start shouting again, so that they could hear his story first-hand.
'He says he saw Cedric Diggory murdered . . .'
'He reckons he duelled with You-Know-Who . . .'
'Come off it . . .'
'Who does he think he's kidding?'
'Pur-lease . . .'
'What I don't get,' said Harry through clenched teeth, laying down his knife and fork (his hands were shaking too much to hold them steady), 'is why they all believed the story two months ago when Dumbledore told them . . .'
The thing is, Harry, I'm not sure they did,' said Hermione grimly. 'Oh, let's get out of here.'
She slammed down her own knife and fork; Ron looked longingly at his half-finished apple pie but followed suit. People stared s t them all the way out of the Hall.
对哈利来说,那天晚上在礼堂吃晚饭可不是一次愉快的经历。他同乌姆里奇大吵大嚷的消息不胫而走,即使按霍格沃茨的标准衡量,这样的传播速度也是快得出奇。当他坐在罗恩和赫敏中间开始吃饭时,他看见周围一片窃窃私语。有趣的是,那些交头接耳的人似乎谁也不在乎他会不会听见他们议论。恰恰相反,他们好像巴不得他动怒,再次嚷嚷起来,这样他们就能亲耳听到他是怎么说的了。
“他说他看见塞德里克·迪戈里被杀害……”
“他以为自己跟神秘人决斗来着……”
“快别胡扯了……”
“他以为自己在蒙谁呢?”
“饶了我吧……”
“我不明白的是,”哈利放下手里的餐具咬着牙说(他的手抖得太厉害,刀叉都拿不稳了),“两个月前邓布利多告诉他们这件事时,他们怎么就都相信了呢……”
“问题是,哈利,我不敢肯定他们是不是相信了。”赫敏神色严峻地说道,“哦,我们快离开这儿吧。”
她重重地放下自己的刀叉,罗恩恋恋不舍地看了看刚吃了一半的苹果馅饼,但还是跟着他们走了。人们一直盯着他们走出了礼堂。
'What d'you mean, you're not sure they believed Dumbledore?' Harry asked Hermione when they reached the first-floor landing.
'Look, you don't understand what it was like after it happened,' said Hermione quietly. 'You arrived back in the middle of the lawn clutching Cedric's dead body . . . none of us saw what what happened in the maze . . . we just had Dumbledore's word for it that You-Know-Who had come back and killed Cedric and fought you.'
'Which is the truth!' said Harry loudly.
'I know it is, Harry, so will you please stop biting my head off?' said Hermione wearily. 'It's just that before the truth could sink in, everyone went home for the summer, where they spent two months reading about how you're a nutcase and Dumbledore's going senile!'
Rain pounded on the windowpanes as they strode along the empty corridors back to Gryffindor Tower. Harry felt as though his first day had lasted a week, but he still had a mountain of homework to do before bed. A dull pounding pain was developing over his right eye. He glanced out of a rain-washed window at the dark grounds as they turned into the Fat Lady's corridor. There was still no light in Hagrid's cabin.
'Mimbulus mimbletonia,' said Hermione, before the Fat Lady could ask. The portrait swung open to reveal the hole behind it and the three of them scrambled through it.
The common room was almost empty; nearly everyone was still down at dinner. Crookshanks uncoiled himself from an armchair and trotted to meet them, purring loudly, and when Harry, Ron and Hermione took their three favourite chairs at the fireside he leapt lightly on to Hermione's lap and curled up there like a furry ginger cushion. Harry gazed into the flames, feeling drained and exhausted.
“你是什么意思,你不敢肯定他们是不是相信邓布利多?”他们来到二楼的楼梯平台时,哈利问赫敏。
“唉,其实你并不明白事情发生以后是什么情况,”赫敏轻声说,“你从草地中央回来了,怀里抱着塞德里克的尸体……我们谁都没有看见迷宫里发生的一切……我们只是听邓布利多说神秘人回来了,杀死了塞德里克,还跟你展开了搏斗。”
“那是事实!”哈利大声说。
“我知道是事实,哈利,你能不能不要这样冲我大声嚷嚷?”赫敏不耐烦地说,“实际上,没等大家完全理解这个事实,他们就都回家过暑假了。整整两个月的时间,他们读到的都是你是个疯子,邓布利多是个老糊涂!”
他们大步走在空荡荡的走廊上,返回格兰芬多的塔楼。雨水啪啪地敲打着窗户玻璃。哈利觉得这开学的第一天好像持续了一个星期,而他睡觉前还要完成那么一大堆家庭作业。他的右眼皮开始一跳一跳地疼。当他们拐进胖夫人的那条走廊时,他透过一扇被雨水冲刷过的窗户望着外面黑黢黢的场地。海格的小屋里仍然没有灯光。
“米布米宝。”赫敏不等胖夫人开口发问就说道。肖像弹开,露出后面的洞口,他们三个爬了进去。
公共休息室里几乎空无一人,差不多所有的同学都还在下面吃晚饭呢。克鲁克山在一张扶手椅里展开身体,小跑着过来迎接他们,发出很响的呼噜呼噜的喘息声。哈利、罗恩和赫敏在炉火旁他们最喜欢的三把椅子里坐定后,它轻盈地跳到赫敏的膝头,把身体蜷成一个毛茸茸的姜黄色坐垫。哈利望着火苗出神,感到极度疲倦,所有的精力都耗光了。
'How can Dumbledore have let this happen?' Hermione cried suddenly, making Harry and Ron jump; Crookshanks leapt off her, looking affronted. She pounded the arms of her chair in fury, so that bits of stuffing leaked out of the holes. 'How can he let that terrible woman teach us? And in our OWL year, too!'
'Well, we've never had great Defence Against the Dark Arts teachers, have we?' said Harry. 'You know what it's like, Hagrid told us, nobody wants the job; they say it's jinxed.'
'Yes, but to employ someone who's actually refusing to let us do magic! What's Dumbledore playing at?'
'And she's trying to get people to spy for her,' said Ron darkly.
'Remember when she said she wanted us to come and tell her if we hear anyone saying You-Know-Who's back?'
'Of course she's here to spy on us all, that's obvious, why else would Fudge have wanted her to come?' snapped Hermione.
'Don't start arguing again,' said Harry wearily, as Ron opened his mouth to retaliate. 'Can't we just. . . let's just do that homework, get it out of the way. . .'
They collected their schoolbags from a corner and returned to the chairs by the fire. People were coming back from dinner now. Harry kept his face averted from the portrait hole, but could still sense the stares he was attracting.
'Shall we do Snape's stuff first?' said Ron, dipping his quill into his ink. "The properties. . . of moonstone. . . and its uses . . . in potion-making. . ." ' he muttered, writing the words across the top of his parchment as he spoke them. There.' He underlined the title, then looked up expectantly at Hermione.
'So, what are the properties of moonstone and its uses in potion-making?'
“邓布利多怎么能让这种事情发生呢?”赫敏突然嚷了起来,把哈利和罗恩吓了一跳。克鲁克山从她身上跳开,一副受了冒犯的样子。赫敏气愤地敲打着椅子的扶手,里面填塞的东西都从破洞里漏了出来。“他怎么能让那个可怕的女人教我们要呢?而且还在我们参加O.W.Ls考试的这一年!”
“唉,我们的黑魔法防御术课从来就没有过像样的老师,是不是?”哈利说道,“你知道是怎么回事,海格告诉过我们,谁也不愿意接这个活儿,他们说这份工作中了恶咒。”
“这倒是,可是居然聘请了一位根本不让我们施魔法的人!邓布利多在玩什么把戏?”
“那女人还想让别人给她当密探。”罗恩郁闷地说,“记得吗,她说如果我们听见有谁说神秘人回来了,她希望我们去向她汇报。”
“她来这儿当然就是为了刺探我们大家的,这还用说吗,不然福吉要她来做什么?”赫敏怒声说道。
“别再吵架了,”罗恩正想张嘴反驳,哈利不耐烦地说,“我们能不能……能不能现在就做家庭作业,早做完早省心……”
他们从墙角拿来书包,回到炉火旁的椅子上。这时候同学们陆续吃完饭回来了。哈利侧着脸,尽量不去看肖像洞口,但仍然能感觉到大家都在盯着他看。
“我们先写斯内普的那篇吧?”罗恩说着给他的羽毛笔蘸了蘸墨水,“月长石的……特性……以及它在……制药方面的……用途……”他低声嘟哝着,边说边把这些字写在羊皮纸的最上面。“好了。”他在标题下面画了道横线,抬头满怀期待地望着赫敏。
“那么,月长石的特性以及它在制药方面的用途是什么呢?”
But Hermione was not listening; she was squinting over into the far corner of the room, where Fred, George and Lee Jordan were now sitting at the centre of a knot of innocent-looking first-years, all of whom were chewing something that seemed to have come out of a large paper bag that Fred was holding.
'No, I'm sorry, they've gone too far,' she said, standing up and looking positively furious. 'Come on, Ron.'
'I - what?' said Ron, plainly playing for time. 'No - come on, Hermione - we can't tell them off for giving out sweets.'
'You know perfectly well that those are bits of Nosebleed Nougat or - or Puking Pastilles or - '
'Fainting Fancies?' Harry suggested quietly.
One by one, as though hit over the head with an invisible mallet, the first-years were slumping unconscious in their seats; some slid right on to the floor, others merely hung over the arms of their chairs, their tongues lolling out. Most of the people watching were laughing; Hermione, however, squared her shoulders and marched directly over to where Fred and George now stood with clipboards, closely observing the unconscious first-years. Ron rose halfway out of his chair, hovered uncertainly for a moment or two, then muttered to Harry, 'She's got it under control,' before sinking as low in his chair as his lanky frame permitted.
'That's enough!' Hermione said forcefully to Fred and George, both of whom looked up in mild surprise.
'Yeah, you're right,' said George, nodding, 'this dosage looks strong enough, doesn't it?'
可是赫敏根本没听,她正眯起眼睛看着房间那头的角落,只见弗雷德、乔治和李·乔丹正坐在一群看上去天真幼稚的一年级新生中间,每个新生嘴里都在嚼着什么东西,看样子是从弗雷德手里提的那个大纸口袋里拿出来的。
“不行,对不起,他们实在太过分了。”赫敏说着腾地站起身,一副怒不可遏的样子,“来,罗恩。”
“我——干吗?”罗恩说,显然是在拖延时间,“不——算啦,赫敏——我们总不能干涉他们发糖给别人吃吧。”
“你心里很清楚,那些是鼻血牛轧糖,要么——要么是吐吐糖,要么——”
“昏迷花糖?”哈利小声提醒道。
那些一年级新生就像被一把无形的大锤砸了一下脑袋,一个个在座位上昏了过去。有的扑通滑到了地上,有的只是瘫倒在椅子的扶手上,舌头伸得老长。在一旁观看的人多数都哈哈大笑起来,赫敏则挺起胸膛,大步流星地直冲弗雷德和乔治走去,这会儿他们正拿着带弹簧夹的写字板站在那里,仔细观察那些神志不清的一年级新生。罗恩的身体从椅子上抬起一半,迟疑地悬在那儿片刻,然后低声对哈利说:“她已经控制住了。”接着他把他那瘦长的身体尽量压得低低的,缩在椅子里。
“够了!”赫敏威严地对弗雷德和乔治说,他们俩都微微吃惊地抬起头来。
“是啊,你说得对,”乔治点点头说道,“这个剂量看来是够劲儿了,是不是?”
'I told you this morning, you can't test your rubbish on students!'
'We're paying them!' said Fred indignantly.
'I don't care, it could be dangerous!'
'Rubbish,' said Fred.
'Calm clown, Hermione, they're fine!' said Lee reassuringly as he walked from first-year to first-year, inserting purple sweets into their open mouths.
'Yeah, look, they're coming round now,' said George.
A few of the first-years were indeed stirring. Several looked so shocked to find themselves lying on the floor, or dangling off their chairs, that Harry was sure Fred and George had not warned them what the sweets were going to do.
'Feel all right?' said George kindly to a small dark-haired girl lying at his feet.
'I - I think so,' she said shakily.
'Excellent,' said Fred happily, but the next second Hermione had snatched both his clipboard and the paper bag of Fainting Fancies from his hands.
'It is NOT excellent!'
“今天早晨我已经对你们说过了,不许在同学身上试验你们的这堆垃圾!”
“我们付钱给他们了!”弗雷德气愤地说。
“我不管,这可能很危险!”
“胡扯。”弗雷德说。
“冷静点儿,赫敏,不会有事儿的!”李·乔丹宽慰她说,一边在那些一年级新生中间走来走去,把紫色的糖果塞进他们张开的嘴巴里。
“是啊,你看,他们现在都醒过来了。”乔治说。
有几个新生确实开始动弹了。看到自己躺在地板上或瘫软在椅子上,显得非常震惊,因此哈利可以肯定,弗雷德和乔治事先并没有告诉他们这些糖是做什么用的。
“感觉还好吧?”乔治亲切地问躺在他脚下的一个黑头发的小个子女生。
“我——我想是吧。”女生颤抖着说。
“太棒了。”弗雷德高兴地说,可是紧接着赫敏就把他的写字板和那一纸袋昏迷花糖都夺了过去。
“根本不是太棒了!”
'Course it is, they're alive, aren't they?' said Fred angrily.
'You can't do this, what if you made one of them really ill?'
'We're not going to make them ill, we've already tested them all on ourselves, this is just to see if everyone reacts the same - '
'If you don't stop doing it, I'm going to - '
'Put us in detention?' said Fred, in an I'd-like-to-see-you-try-it voice.
'Make us write lines?' said George, smirking.
Onlookers all over the room were laughing. Hermione drew herself up to her full height; her eyes were narrowed and her bushy hair seemed to crackle with electricity.
'No,' she said, her voice quivering with anger, 'but I will write to your mother.'
'You wouldn't,' said George, horrified, taking a step back from her.
'Oh, yes, I would,' said Hermione grimly. 'I can't stop you eating the stupid things yourselves, but you're not to give them to the first-years,'
Fred and George looked thunderstruck. It was clear that as far as they were concerned, Hermione's threat was way below the belt. With a last threatening look at them, she thrust Fred's clipboard and the bag of Fancies back into his arms, and stalked back to her chair by the fire.
“当然是太棒了,他们都还活着,是不是?”弗雷德生气地说。
“你们不能这么做,万一害得他们中间有谁患上重病呢?”
“我们不会让他们得病的,这些糖我们已经在自己身上试验过了,现在只想看看是不是每个人的反应都一样——”
“如果你们不停止这么做,我就要——”
“罚我们关禁闭?”弗雷德说,声音里透着一种“我倒要看你敢不敢”的意思。
“罚我们写句子?”乔治嘲笑着说。
房间里在一旁观看的人都笑了起来。赫敏尽量把身体挺得笔直,眯起眼睛,一头毛蓬蓬的头发似乎噼噼啪啪地闪着电光。
“不,”她说,声音因愤怒而微微发抖,“但我要写信给你们的妈妈。”
“你不会的。”乔治说,大惊失色地从她面前退后了一步。
“哦,会的,我会写的。”赫敏毫不含糊地说,“我不能阻止你们自己吃这些无聊的玩意儿,但你们不能把它们拿给一年级新生。”
弗雷德和乔治看样子完全被吓坏了。显然,在他们看来,赫敏的威胁是很阴险的一招。赫敏最后又狠狠地瞪了他们一眼,把弗雷德的写字板和那一纸袋花糖塞进他怀里,然后大步走回她炉火旁的椅子前。

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

扫二维码关注我们

小黑屋|手机版|雄州网 ( 蜀ICP备10022193号-9

Copyright 2015 最新最精彩-社区论坛 版权所有 All Rights Reserved.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表